Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Phd application

N

Hi,

i applied to a University in UK 4 weeks back for a Phd application. i have not received any reply from them yet, neither positive nor negative.

When i had asked them 3 weeks back they had told me that they would respond soon but i have not got any reply yet.

I wonder if it is possible that they dont reply at all. Not even a rejection. How long should i wait before checking again. I dont want to seem pushy. But i just worry.

Thanks
N

K

Right now is quite a hectic time at University in the UK due to semester starting again soon. However, do check with them at the start of next week because it is important to know.

N

Thanks. But does it happen that a uni might not reply? Because i dont want to be pushy and insist on an answer.

Siddhi

H

Nevyn, it is very unlikely you will not receive a reply of some kind. If universities did this, they would constantly be receiving calls/emails from worried potential students!
I applied for my PhD at the end of March and didn't get a reply until June or July, so a wait is normal and you should expect the horrible process of uncertainty I'm afraid. If you applied online it's likely you will get an automated email, or, if on paper, you may receive either a letter or email. Killahtron makes a good point about the undergrad admissions consuming unis at the moment, so I wouldn't do anything until early September. Good luck :)

M

Quote From nevyn:

Thanks. But does it happen that a uni might not reply? Because i dont want to be pushy and insist on an answer.

Siddhi

It can happen. I've still not heard back from an interview that I had on July 5th, but haven't chased it up as I've been successful elsewhere.

A

Good luck for your application...5 weeks ago I applied for a PhD and have still not received a reply. This is although I have already met my supervisor, got accepted for funding (I applied for funding 1st, and then I formalised the application through the University)...so all that had to be done was just the paper work...nevertheless I have not received any official confirmation...so I guess during the summer months things really go slower :D

Best of Luck!

N

thank you very much. i was just getting worried. i dont mind the wait as i am working but i am very keen on it so......... but that you for replying. :-)

S

Don't worry, unfortunately 4 weeks is nothing when it comes to paperwork! They wouldn't just not tell you, or I'd be stunned if that happened if its a mainstream uni, but as the others say, this is a crazy time for them in admissions with however many thousand new u/gs and p/gs to process with term starting again soon, it may also be that your future sup is away - mine is - so I really wouldn't worry. I applied for mine in the april or may I think it was, I was doing my MA at the same uni with the same sup, everything went through, funding was agreed and I STILL hadn't had the formal paperwork til days before term began in the Oct. Its a long process between a few different academic and administrative depts with a lot of things to be signed off so it doesn't happen fast sadly - but then what does in a uni ;-)
Good luck and I really hope you're successful(up)