Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

PhD in one year

L

Right now I´m doing my MBA in Switzerland ( GPA 3,5 - 3,75). January 2008 I would like to start my PhD. It doesen´t matter where? I just want to do it one year.

S

hi lara,
and what would you like to know from us?

all i can say right now: normally a PhD is 3-4 years, or longer (in the US, or when working part-time).
as you mentioned switzerland: i have heard of a few exceptional cases in switzerland (i am swiss myself) where students who wrote a very comprehensive master's thesis (like, for example, 200 pages, including substantive research) went on to do a very fast PhD in which they basically just expanded on their master's thesis. it took them only 1.5 to 2 years. so i am not saying it is totally impossible to finish your PhD fast. but one year is quite unlikely.

U

Why stop at 1 year?

Why not 6 months?

If you work hard, 3 months may be possible?

S

If you buy one online it may only take a few days.

G

While we're in fantasy mode, I'd like to date Charlize Theron.

T

Why do you want to do it in one year? I think you're missing the whole point of a PhD. A PhD is not about ground-breaking research and getting results out there as quick as possible and getting something else for the CV, it is about training, learning new skills and maturing into a competent and critical researcher. Can that be done in a year?

If I could tell you how much I have changed as an academic, and as a person in just two years, I think you will miss out on a lot if you aim to complete so fast with your head down, and not picking up the sort of skills, and the confidence a PhD will give you.

Plus pretty much every University has rules that state you must be resident and studying for at least 2 or 2.5 years anyway.

T

Also, it SHOULD matter where. You should aim to do a PhD in a department that is strong in your area, not just any old place that will have you.

I apologise if you get quite a negative reaction from this forum, but it is full of people who are in their 3rd, 4th, 5th year or longer!

K

I'm wondering if Lara means she wants to do her PhD in a year, as in starting it a year from now?

Lara, tell us exactly what you want/mean

G

Well now to next Jan is 7 and a half months with my O level maths.

K

Ok, maths was never my strong point - at least I have my PhD to make up for it

J

one lecturer in my department one of those dodgy phds in a year after coming from MBA school. this lecturer had to leave as they couldn't live up to the PhD title that they carried. every law student knew more law than this lecturer and as a result this lecturer got very poor ratings and was sacked from the law school. so my advice is, if you wanna do a PhD, do one, don't just buy one - it's the process that matters, otherwise you won't be able to live up to the title.

P

PhD in Switzerland are usually done during 4 to 5 years. See myScience.ch. I do no know any PhD in one year, only 2 years in economics at uni St. Gallen.

G

I'd still like to date Charlize Theron if you happen to be reading the forum Charlize.

K

This has made me laugh out loud. Thank you!

M

You can do a one-year doctorate program in some European countries (eg Austria) where you gain the title of 'Dr'. However, some countries, such as the UK, do not recognise these doctorates as being of the calibre as PhDs, and some countries only place the 1 year doctorates as high as a Masters of Research. So beware...a one-year 'PhD' is not going to be worth much if you plan to work in countries who offer traditional (ball-breaking) PhDs.