Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

PhD outside University

B

Hi,

I would like to know more about pursuing a PhD outside the University. For example, you work in a business company and conduct (applied) research in / by practice in a project of some kind.

Offer USA and UK universities this kind of PhD support?
Is this with or without courses?

If you have, please post url's so I can read further.

Thanks!

J

Hi,I'm doing my PhD mostly away from the Uni, I work fulltime and most of the research can be carried out where I work, some is also done at home. I still have to go to the uni at certain times to attend seminars, and also I will have to carryout some lab work there.

B

@jjdempsey: thanks, can you tell me more about the university and programme?

I know Dutch universities (supervisors) offer this kind of PhD candidates for free. You have a meeting each three months.

J

Well its much the same as any research PhD, you need a viable research proposal that will hopefully produce some new data or conclusions about the subject you are working on. I'm doing mine in plant pathology at UWE in Bristol, but I can gather most of my required data away from there because my full time job allows me to collect and work on plant samples on site. A lot of communication between myself and supervisors is done via email and skype but I still have to go there every few months for various bits and pieces.

B

Thanks again jjdempsey. Do you have to pay for your programme and support?

Are there other people who want to share their experience?

J

yep have to pay for everything :-(

B

Quote From jjdempsey:

yep have to pay for everything :-(

Any price indication?