Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

PhD Productivity (or not)

P

hey all,

how productive are you on an average? uhhhm...these can be guidelines:

1. How many journal articles do u usually manage to read a week?
2. Books?
3. How much writing?
4. How much writing do you hand in to your sup and how often?

I know we all have sparky spells, low spells, slow spells, urrrgh sloooow spells, but yes, this is when we averaging around a 'normal'... :)

love to alll.......

:)

T

1. How many journal articles do u usually manage to read a week?
Probably about 5 on average.. I read alot of abstracts as I get various email alerts.. so i scan abstracts and then see how good/relevant they are

2. Books?
Work related books.. none really unless I am looking for something specific (but I am science so I dont need to read that many)

3. How much writing?
I write in my lab book everyday so it depends how much I've done.

4. How much writing do you hand in to your sup and how often?
I hand something into my sup every few months I guess

T

Either everyone is too busy reading and writing to comment...or too embarrassed to tell the truth! :$

I am too embarrassed to tell the truth :$:-x:p:-)

P

Oh no guys please dont be.....thats what this forum is for...to share our tales of (under)performance!!!! I've been wondering why what I thought would be a topical thread hasnt been attracting any replies .... :(

T

At the moment, 3. and 4. is an awful lot...

S

I'm writing up now but in general I have intense literature search and read sessions then go weeks without reading anything unless I need it for the analysis or whatever I'm doing. Rarely read books except for a few trusty maths bibles.

The writing has also gone in intense bursts with months in between.

I have great trouble getting my sup to read anything. I got him to read a chapter earlier this month - quite an achievement!