Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

phd qualities

E

Hello,

I would like to ask you which qualities must have a student to be able to face a PhD. I just started my PhD and I think I'm good in reading papers and writing projects, but I'm REALLY BAD in the lab, in particular to solve practical problems and make things work! Does it mean that I've no hope? It's not my job?

Thanks in advance

E.

M

I know how you feel, simply dont worry people with sub qualifications of yours did a great job in their phds, you will be just fine....

enjoy ur research

T

I know how you feel! I had no lab experience and my biggest problems initially were basic things such as how to make and dilute stock solutions, remembering what molarity meant, how to calculate how to make a working solution, what an autoclave was... honestly it was difficult! People would say to me 'follow this protocol, it's easy' and I would look at it for hours like it was in a foreign language!

Then, once I got to grips with that, the next challenge was thinking about how to set positive and negative controls - I felt like I was always going to have to be reminded by my supervisors, now I do it without even thinking about it.

I look back now and I think how far I have come! You will do the same eventually, trust me.

E

Thanks guys! I'll try