Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

PhD what is the inside story???

K

Hello and warm wishes and best of luck to all dear friends who are either doing PhD or still in a hunt. I think hunting is much easy job than finding a PhD vacancy. In this thread I will throw some light on the inside story of PhD hunting. All friends are welcome to take part.
Don't lose hope is the moral of story!

K

As I mentioned in my previous threads that I am confused and applied to many universities etc.and couldn't find an appropriate option.Just recently, I went for my first PhD interview and guess what, my supervisor offered me the PhD post.

Still I have to find funding this is a big big problem!

K

After interview, I went with other senior phd students of the lab to find out their experience! Just like all phd senior students first thing i have told by them is phd is very difficult and u have to work hard etc.

K

I forgot to tell u that I have applied in genetics. one student told me that this supervisor is technically very good and he knows pros and cons of the techniques but he is hawk. He always keep an eye on you and if u are doing wrong he will immediately come for help but one mistake washed all the good work u have done.

K

he will shout at you ask you to repeat the exp again but as he is watching u so u cannot hide any thing from him and before him u will be confused as he always sit in the lab etc etc all the negative points one can give for a supervisor this fellow has given it to me!

K

In this forum, many students are complaining that their supervisors are not taking interest and they are alone. one phd student is telling me that my supervisor always eying me like a hawk!
commit a mistake and I will catch you.

K

when I asked about the funding and scholarship they told me forgot this thing u won't get funding.Another inside story is this that many sponsors now attracting students from china to capture their market they want them. other then this u are not eligible for mrc, bbsrc etc as they are only for uk/eu students.

K

As one of the student post his story that even being a better student he didn't get a phd offer and an internal student won the studentship. now this happens only at departmental level. I tell u this happens in my country even from a small clerk job to a higher post! even seats for ministry can be distributed like this

O

This is one of the most bizzare threads I've ever read on this forum..

S

erm, right, well, hmmm, anyway.....

I

love it!!

K

so you love it. any one else!

G

Hi kingofdesert,
I'm an undergraduate student and in the future want to make a PhD in biochemistry/biophysics. What do you think is very important when applying for PhD? Experience in a lab (competency in different technics), good grades? How important is what I do for my diploma thesis? Thanks for answer
Ola

R

i think a combination of good grades and lab experience and well as having a clear understanding of why you want to undertake a phd is paramount. This will make you stand out in competition for phd places. most people who apply for phds are likely to have good grades: at least 2.1 and most would have a first so its important that you have something else which makes your application stand out. i would suppose most people's research experience extends to what they have done in their final year project which is quite limited. an undergraduate research placement is looked upon very favourably. i did one and got a paper published. i was offered 4 phd positions and i think my undergraduate research experience was a big contributing factor

G

Thanks jb203 for your exhaustive answer. I'm not sure if I know what is undergraduate research placement. Does it mean you join one of the research groups at your uni and help them with their work? Will be grateful for the clarification. Thanks :)

Ola