Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

PhDs and kids!

T

Hello everyone. I have only just started studying but already I am having a few problems. The main issue is my 3 year old. Obviously he's not a problem as such - he's adorable but I do find that I am doing less work than my fellow students. For example, this evening I should be reading up on research methodologies but ended up having to read Thomas the Tank Engine. How does everyone else manage juggling studies and children? And the million dollar question: how much work do you think you actually need to do per week to get ahead? Thanks for any advice.

D

I think a lot depends on the age of your kid(s), if you have a mate and if you work in addition, plus how supportive your department is. I got my Masters with my first kid aged 1-3, and I'm working the last few years on my doctorate with my 2 kids now ages 11 and 8; I work fulltime too. My husband has been incredibly supportive and stepped up, which is why I've been able to do this. Its meant missing plenty of weekend activities and evenings the kids know past a certain time its my homework time. At age 3 its hard, but yours will grow up learning this and its a wonderful gift to give them; my kids now want to shoot for their doctorate (hopefully when they are younger than me)Its a balancing act, and realize sometimes you'll excel as parent, sometimes as worker, sometimes as student, or mate, rarely as all 4 at the same time; just don't be too hard on yourself, and seek out other student parents who you may be able to network with.

D

How supportive your work and department counts a lot too. I can do school work at my work, and my academic department supports parents; lots of teachers there have kids and bring them in to class if there is a day off and would rather have a student bring in a {well-behaved} kid to class or have mom nurse baby in class than have the parent miss class. ARM - Association for Research on Mothering - has done a lot of research on this. Good luck!!

S

I'm full-time PhD student, I'm writing up and my daughter is nearly 3 (I took 2 years out when she was born). She goes to nursery 3 days/week, and I try to work on Saturdays too but we often have social events that we want to attend as a family. I have foudn working in the evenings hard. She goes to bed 8-8.30 and I find that late to start working. I'm setting aside 2-3 evenings were my husband takes over from 7 pm so I can start earlier (I don't want to give up the bedtime reading sessions completely). He's very supportive but he travels quite a lot.

I think it's going to be tight this year and I expect to be working more weekends and evenings - but I also don't want to burn out. None of the other students have kids - so my lifestyle and working pattern are completely different to everone else's.

S

The time/week really depends on your deadlines. As long as you keep to some sort of schedule then that is the bench mark. Are you full-time, working - do you have any childcare?

T

Thanks for the advice. I am in a bit of a strange situation as I am currently living away from home to attend uni but will move back next year. Atm my son goes to nursery 3 mornings a week and my mum looks after him for some of the rest of the time. I thought I would be able to work more in the evening but tbh I just feel too knackered after putting him to bed! Will have to reconsider childcare arrangements for next year but it should be easier as I will be back home so will have my husband to help out (hopefully!)