Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Please help, need some advice for a first year PhD

T

I am first year PhD at a UK university or first year researcher as they like to call it. I am self funded and an international student. Last week I had my first year review and they ripped my project apart and essentially said that what I am doing is not currently a PhD and now they want me to have another review in three months. I went into the program with very little confidence in myself to begin with and now I feel as if that little confidence I had is now gone. I am beginning to question if I should even be doing this, if I should be putting myself in this much debt, if I should just cut my losses and head back home. I don't know what advice I am asking for really, I am just so alone in this part of the world and don't really have anyone else to express these insecurities too. I guess what Im asking is if it is normal to feel as if your project isn't going anywhere at the end of year one?

C

I think every PhD student has felt this way at some point. It took me about 8-9 months into my first year to feel as though I fully understood what I wanted to study and how I was going to do it. Then I had my first year review and had to explain to others what I was still getting to grips with myself.

My advice would be, take into consideration what the reviewers have said otherwise you might struggle to get past the next review but if you don't feel that their criticisms are justified, talk to your supervisor and ask him/her for advice on where to go from here and how to impress them the 2nd time around. You will get good advice and criticisms from people through your entire PhD but you don't always have to take that on board. Sometimes it's best just to thank them for their input and carry on as you are, other times they can be very helpful.

M

Hey, Thenomad.

It sounds like you're having a particularly tough time of it. However, what I would say is to speak to your supervisor to ask him/her what things in particular you need to improve upon before the next review comes up. At least then you can have some idea about where you're straying a little, and what you can do to address those problems.

A little bit of encouragement; I started at a UK institution straight after I finished my undergrad. I too had very little confidence at the time, and after a year in they slashed me apart, offering no help or support, with my then supervisor (and I use the term supervisor in the loosest possible sense) leaving me after three months in. Suffice to say, they didn't offer a replacement. I ended up leaving with my confidence in shatters. I then worked in industry and took the decision to have another crack at it some years later, albeit with much trepidation.

In contrast, my current university have been fabulous and very supportive. I'm not saying you need to 'drop out', but changing institutions can help tremendously.

Stick at it, and I wish you all the best.