Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Positive Job Rejection??

P

OK, any thoughts on what this means. I have had an e-mail from the head of education at a museum saying I'm not getting an interview for a freelance job I applied for but they were very impressed with my CV and want to keep me on file and hope to work with me in the future. She has copied it in to the education administrator and the education officer. Is this is rejection or is it actually a good thing? And should I reply to the e-mail and how?

A

======= Date Modified 07 Apr 2011 09:10:01 =======
I think it's positive so congrats:-). I remember you saying you were applying so at least you have a foot, no maybe more like a toe in the door! I would however, follow it up after a couple of months. You could contact them saying you are still available and to keep you in mind if anything new comes up. Good luck, I hope it comes good for you.

Edit: I would certainly reply to her email, thanking them and that you would really appreciate it if they kept you on file as you are very interested in working there. It could be that the person they did pick doesn't work out; in which case it sounds like you could get a call.

K

Hey Pam! This has never happened to me, but has happened twice to my brother (in retail management) - he has gone along for an interview, not got the job, but told that they really like him and want to keep him on file (both times he just lost out to someone a bit older and more experienced). Both places got back to him later and invited him for interviews for other jobs, one of which he got. It wasn't immediately after, it was a good few months later, but still, he was chuffed! So hopefully it will turn out to be a positive thing for you! Best, KB

W

When I had to send out similar letters to job applicants, it meant that their CV struck a chord in me along the lines of 'hey, wasn't Bob looking for somebody like this'. If they had just said they will keep the CV on file, then it would have been an outright rejection, but policy is to maintain all CVs for a certain length of time. I would say it made them think that you might fit another upcoming post and they want to check it out. (At least, that is how I handled it back in the US.)
Either way, sending a thank you e-mail wouldn't be a bad thing to keep you in their mind and to let them know you are interested in other opportunities they feel your skills and experience might be better aligned with.

J

Definitely reply. I had this a while ago now when I applied for one job, but got offered an interview for a better job which they hadn't even advertised at that point. I'm not there any more, but they asked if they could keep my name on their files and I said yes, you never know when something good may come up and your name will be there ready and waiting!:-)

A

Definitely go with it. I had 2 jobs offered to me where I did not get the original job I applied for, and then got a second job after saying they were pleased with my CV. In one situation with the email saying I did not get the post, they requested a telephone interview the next week, and during the telephone interview they offered me a similar job. In the other case around 6 months had passed for the other job to come up. There is nothing to lose :) Good luck

A

Hi PamW, I'd reply in a positive, upbeat way, acknowledging your delight that they hope to work with you in future. I applied for a job at a museum, was told I was over-qualified, but advised to try for a 2nd job. I interviewed for the 2nd one, fluffed that, but was still asked to try for a more senior one. I landed the job of my dreams, third time around. The phrase that stands out in their letter is their 'hope to work with you in the future.' Normally, rejection letters just thank you for your interest, explaining that there was an unusually high level of interest for the role blaa blaa. Good luck, and copy your response to the education administrator as well.