Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Problem with research project (not the PhD) methodology

S

Hello, I hope someone can give me some advice, I lurk mostly but do post the odd time. I finished my PhD a few months ago, am looking for a job now, but in the meantime have been offered some work as a research assistant by a lecturer in the university where I did my PhD. So far so good. The trouble is that the research project that I have been recruited to work on is very badly designed, really there are so many holes in it, an undergraduate would see the obvious flaws in the methodology.
Therefore, I spent a lot of time writing e-mails pointing out these problems and suggesting solutions and improvements. However I might as well be talking to the walls. The concerns that I bring up are dismissed by the lecturer (BTW I have never worked with this person before), and worse still she tells me that "the literature" says she should do it her way, yet when I have asked her for some references to "the literature" I get no response. In fact, "the literature" suggests no such thing, I know this because I read an awful lot about this area for my PhD, and really the way this project is being handled is completely unprofessional.
My question is, what should I do next? I feel like withdrawing from the project as I don't want to be associated with something that I don't feel proud of.
BUT
I don't want to make an enemy (I know that sounds over-dramatic, but I'd rather not have someone pissed off at me, also, people talk to each other, and I don't want to get a reputation for being unreliable). Also there's only a couple of weeks work involved and I really do need the money.
Any advice?

T

Hmm, it's difficult... Can you do it both ways, her way and the right way? The hopefully she might change her mind once she sees the results?

If not, I don't see what you can do except do what she tells you if you need the money.

S

Thanks for your help. The project is in three parts, and Part 1 is now complete. I asked a senior (in fact, now retired) colleague for advice. He was shocked when I explained the design flaws, but advised that since I had made a commitment to do the work I should continue and complete Part 1. He further advised that I should then withdraw from the project, giving my reasons. I did so, and got a very rude e-mail back telling me that the problems were all on my side and to do with my lack of ability [sigh], but I am just so relieved to be done with it. I worry that some day she'll be sitting on an interview board, but I can't live my life like that.

D

Hey shoulder,

I think you did the decent thing to withdraw from this project. Hope you get a new job soon and get out of the poverty that comes with doing a PhD.

It is not uncommon to find papers that lack robust methodology, perform sloppy statistical analysis, and still get published and make a big impact!