Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Qualifying Exam this Week!

F

Hello there,

I will be taking my quals this week: 9am Tuesday-9am Friday! I am trying not to feel too anxious. For my exam, I have access to unlimited resources/internet, so I do not have to worry about recall--thank goodness. I took a practice exam in a doctoral seminar last term and have dozens and dozens of files and publications somewhat organized, so I am fairly well-prepared. However, I am still quite nervous. There is one unknown factor: I will be given 2 cases from which to choose (one domestic--US; one international). From there I have to pick one and apply 3 theories, develop a full methodology to study the case, and apply a practical component (mediation, facilitation, etc). I will have 72 hours total to do this (I had nearly 2 weeks for the practice exam).

I guess what I am looking for is perhaps advice on how to relax and not freak out about it too much between now and Tuesday morning. How do you stay clear-headed when it comes to something like this? Or, even any tips for organizing. I apologize if this seems like a bit of a rant! Thanks!!

T

I've never heard of an exam as long as this.. Not sure I could do it myself!

I'd suggest the obvious things between now and Tuesday: eat well, sleep well and get some exercise. Make sure your house is clean and tidy so that there are as few distractions as possible. Chill out by spending time with friends and family. Maybe make some food to eat for the exam period so you don't waste time by having to cook.

Good luck, I hope it goes well!

T

Hi frequentflyer,

I've never heard of an exam like this either but I'd agree with Treeoflife. I find exercise really helpful during stressful periods, and I'd probably also recommend a hot bath or reading a good (non-PhD related!) book before bed to help you get some decent sleep this week. I hope you're feeling okay today and best of luck for this week!

Tulip

F

Tulip and Tree of Life,

Thanks for the support! I like the idea of having prepared (even if it's frozen entrees!) on hand. I live in Florida, so it may be nice enough to take periodic walks (there has been a "cold" front here). Maybe I can splurge on a yoga class. A colleague of mine is having a massage today, but I think it would be better for me to spend get one AFTER. I now have just under 24 hours to make my final preparations! I will try not to think about it too much today! Thanks!!

F

Update: I survived!!!!

I managed to write 30 pages in 62 hours (finished with 10 hours to spare!!)! That was very intense. Now, 4-6 weeks to wait for the results. This weekend=REST and SLEEP!

T

Well done! Let us know the outcome :)

F

Well, it has been quite some time, but I found out this past Friday that I passed! I lived in a state of limbo and uncertainty for five weeks, and am beyond elated that I can finally breathe a sigh of relief. In the meantime, I managed to secure a dissertation topic as well as a committee chair. Life is good!

T

That's brilliant news! :)