Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Struggling to write up

G

Hi there,
I'm in my third year of PhD study and attempting to write up. My funding comes to an end in September and although I technically have a year after that to submit I had always promised myself I'd be done as close to the end of funding as possible. For some reason, however, despite how much I want this damn process to be over I can't seem to get motivated to get words on paper. I do anything and everything other than what I actually have to do. Even when I make myself get on the computer at a decent time I find myself faffing with checking emails, catching up with friends, organising things to look forward to after the PhD but not actually doing the PhD. I know it sounds ludicrous and I keep telling myself to just get on with the damn thing but for some reason I continue to procrastinate. Throughout my undergrad and MA studies I was a full on perfectionist, spending every waking hour on assignments to ensure the best grade possible but now I seem to have lost all care for my studies. I keep thinking, oh - I'll do it when I have to and making excuses for my lack of work - 'you mustn't be in the right frame of mind to write' etc etc. But now I'm really starting to worry myself. While my motivation and interest in the thesis has pretty much gone out of the window I am still determined to finish it and would never walk away from it when I have come this far. However, I have no tricks up my sleeve to pull my socks up anymore and wondered if anyone else had experienced a similar thing? Any advice or kicks up the backside would be most appreciated. I know I have to do something to fix this situation but I really am at a loss as to what!
:-(

A

======= Date Modified 18 May 2011 11:52:47 =======
Hi Grit

Really you have said it all yourself. You know your motivation is gone, yet you still want to finish. Beyond the usual, ie disconnect from the internet, catch up on FaceBook at set times of the day (before you start, during lunch, after tea) etc which, let's be honest you already know my advice would be to:

(maybe you have already done this, but if not, it might help kick start you into action. It also presumes you already have all your data collected/in order)

Think through your Table of Contents and committ it to paper (or screen!) - literally go through each of your chapters and work your way through each chapter sub-heading by sub-heading. Be as detailed as possible. Next, open new document for each chapter, officially name them and you have started!

Use your ToC as a guide. Of course it may change but nevertheless if you use it as an overarching guide, you will get a great sense of making progress. Doing it this way means that you will be able to see your thesis building, sub heading by sub heading. It also means that you will keep track of how many words you are writing which again signals progress. Furthermore (I'm writing up!!), it means that some days you can tackle what easier sections, other days you might feel like tackling something more challenging but your thesis will be building up every time you do some work.

Good luck - I have found the writing up process pretty relentless. However, I now have a full draft and although it's not ready to submit, it does feel good to have it all down. In hindsight, while I did draw up a ToC I regret not making it far more detailed. Therefore my advice is given with the benefit of mature reflection! A friend of mine drew up a meticulous ToC and then did not deviate at all from it. That to me would be too constricting but to be honest, he is about to submit so it certainly worked for him.

G

Hi Ady,
Thanks so much for your response. You have just confirmed my thoughts with regard to the thesis.
I perhaps should have mentioned in my last post. I have a fairly detailed table of contents/chapter plans with summaries/sub-heading etc and I have 3 chapters in draft form now. I've been struggling to get words on paper in the order in which my supervisors are asking. I would much prefer to work (and think I'd get a lot more done) if I could just work on the bits that I wanted to when I wanted to as you have suggested. Up until now however, I haven't really had the nerve to tell my supervisor that and instead have attempted to work to his regime. You've helped me to come to the answer that I knew all along - I need to do it my way! I think if I get the nerve to tell him that the way that he has prescribed isnt working for me and I am avoiding at all costs, he should understand that any way that I do it is better than no way at all. I really don't want to give up the whole thing and really dont think that I ever would but I do need to give up on pleasing the supervisors if its getting me nowhere fast. Its amazing what getting things off your chest can do when you talk to others in a similar situation. Thanks again!

A

no worries - be strong ;-). No wonder there is usually a chapter on handling your supervisor in those 'how to do a PhD' books!

B

My advice in situations like this is to draw up a to-do list of what you need to get on with. Break it down a lot. Don't make items on it big and unattainable.

Then look at your to-do list and pick the most appealing thing on it. Or, if you're like me, it might be the least unappealing! And start doing it. When you've done it cross it off your list and look for the next item to work on.

This way you make progress, built up your confidence, and get going again. I had to use this technique a lot during my part-time PhD writing-up phase to keep me going. And it worked.

I also find deadlines highly motivating myself, but you haven't reached that stage yet i.e. end of registration. If the imminent lack of funding isn't scaring you then you need to try a different tack, as suggested.

Good luck!