Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Teaching and publications during phd

V

Hi, I am not really sure what to do about this. I am almost half way through the second year of my phd. So far I have not published anything and I also haven't done any teaching in any tutorials for undergraduates. Is this a problem that I should be worried about? Other phd students always seem to be talking about getting some of their work published or their plans for teaching tutorials and I feel like I'm really behind especially because 2 of the students are only just entering their 2nd year. I've always been trying to focus on just getting my phd finished but now I'm starting to doubt myself. I don't think I even have anything to publish yet because I am still doing my research so I'm not sure what everyone else is publishing.
What are your thoughts? Thanks!

D

My main publication has been on something tangential to my PhD, for exactly those reasons that I haven't got all my data yet. I think it must depend on what your work is, there's no point in publishing for the sake of it. Teaching is harder to come by than before with all the cuts too. Personally I wouldn't get too worried, but you should look for opportunities in both teaching and publishing of course.

V

Thanks DocInsanity for your reply. I have tried to find opportunities to teach by putting my name forward to teach but nothing came of it, whilst others seemed to get selected and I wonder is that because they already have teaching experience whereas I don't. I'm mostly worried my phd won't be as good as others if I finish without a publication and/or teaching experience. I know I shouldn't compare myself to others but sometimes its hard not to!

H

The extent to which it matters probably varies by field. Are you arts/humanities or science/engineering or...?

V

Hi Hazyjane, thanks for your reply. I am in the social sciences- management more specifically.