Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

The Psychology of the Order of Thesis Chapters

P

======= Date Modified 17 45 2010 15:45:36 =======
Hi everyone.

I am just working on my introduction and have come to the bit where I list the objectives of the thesis and give a one/two sentence outline of the chapters, making it clear how it works together as one.

Now, I have a problem - I have one chapter that is separate from the others as I have used a different measurement technique, and it's all lab-based, rather than field-based as for the other chapters. The results are not terribly good/amazing and the chapter is ok, but not that great, and I wonder whether to have it as the first main chapter or last main chapter (before conclusions). In terms of the viva, I dont mind talking a bit about the work, but do not want it to appear as a key element of the overall thesis - so in order to "play down" the importance of this "outlying" chapter, where shall I put in the thesis? First or last?

Anyone, please? I need help, seriously, I can't work this out... (and no, I do not want to ask my supervisors, they don't really care, I think)

thanks!:-x

T

Hmm, if my memories of psychology lectures are at all correct (they were somewhat beer-hazed) then there are significant effects for impact of both the first thing encountered and the last - which doesn't help us at all! My gut feeling would be to start strong with a clear pattern of work, and put the odd chapter last as a kind of pilot study. You'll be putting in a load of caveats and future work suggestions at the end anyway so you can use it as a talking point rather than firm conclusion.

Hope that helps a smidge :-)

P

Thanks, that's great. You are right, it'll be appropriate as a kind of pilot study towards the end, close to overall disucssion/conclusions/further work and talk of caveats..
I indeed had it last initially, but then became overwhelmed with doubt... but I am happy now putting it last.
Thank you! (sprout)

V

Hello Poppy
Your difficulty is not unusual for doctoral candidates. A neat way to handle it is to revisit your Chapter 1. Readers expect to be introduced to what your thesis contains and the rationale of the sequence of the chapters. THUS ~ use the chapter to explain the textual structure of your thesis followed by a brief account of each chapter. In that text, you can then justify the location of the chapters.
So ~ where to locate that chapter? If the measurements occurred after your main experiments then that chapter should follow the chapters that present your main experiments. The chapter will require an accompanying account of why further measurements were undertaken and an methodological/theoretical explanation for the apparently differnt outcomes. Be clear and explicit and ready to engage with your examiners in discussion the phenomena.
What did you decide? (up)