Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

URGENT- need help - phd computer science

R

I have just started my PhD in computer science, barely 3 months old. I'm in software field for approximately 7-8years that include my undergrad, postgrad and job. The main problem I have is that I'm reasonably good in domain knowledge and problem solving. but when it comes to coding and implementation, I sound dumb. I haven't done *big* coding projects till date throughout my journey as individual. I rate myself below average in coding. I think because of my domain knowledge and skills, I could sustain till this stage. Now in phd I'm supposed to implement things and only this can result if my approach is correct or not. I've tried practising coding for sample programs but I feel very scary, dejected, depressed and hence losing entire confidence I had. In this process I'm thinking if I should continue my phd at all or just get back to my country and find another job in some other field. Please suggest. ITs URGENT....

I

Hello, I have been having nearly the same problems. I started my PhD back in october in the field of physics. Hence I thought my PhD would be mostly to do with physics. As it turns out, coding takes up nearly 80% of my time. I would say I was fairly average at coding before hand.

It was really daunting initially whenever anyone handed me their code to either fix or update. Going through code, especially someone elses code is almost like trying to read somebodies mind; not easy! Initially I got through it by constantly searching through google forums relating to whatever piece of code I couldn't understand. All I can say is that it is a huge learning curve and probably equivalent to learning a new language.

I also found putting in print statements at key points in the code to see what was actually happening. If you can try and get a grasp on what process each part of the code is supposed to be doing, then it makes it a lot easier trying to decipher what is actually going on. To help with this I usually summarise each code before I try writing/editing it.

You really have to keep at it, but the more you do it (like most things) the easier you will find being able to glance at a code and have a good idea what is going on. But, you are not alone, coding can be a nightmare!!