Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

What can be classified as 'usable data'?

M

I have just received some of my data from my first experiment (PhD based in the biological sciences). Some of the data that I have is useful, whereas in some of my samples the assay has not worked so well. Should this be included in the thesis. I guess I am asking what really qualifies as data that can be used in writing up?

Thanks

S

Hi MicroWest,

Do you know why the assay hasn't worked for some of your samples? Is it because of the nature of those particular samples or you varying the conditions? If the latter, you would probably be able to include it - in comparison with the samples that did work - as a method optimisation, which in itself is a valid component of a research project.

I'm a biological scientist too, though without more specific information I'm a little in the dark. Your receipt of data remark implies that someone else did the assays for you, which might complicate the optimisation slant rather. As this is your first experiment, I am surmising you're in the first 6 months of your project. Therefore you shouldn't be too concerned as yet about the minutiae of what is going to go in your thesis. In the end, hopefully you'll have more data than you can shake a stick at.

M

Dear Simon G

Thank you for your reply. Basically I am looking at microbial diversity from environmental samples. I had to collect the samples, perform the DNA extractions and test PCR's, but then I sent the samples to a lab in order for them to be analyzed using next gen sequencing, to get an overall picture of the microbial diversity in these samples. The analysis worked, however some of the samples, whilst having a large diversity, have a low species evenness, so I am unsure as to whether something may have gone wrong.

I am in the early stage of the second year of my program. It took me a long time to get a handle on sampling strategy/DNA extraction and PCR optimization. I now have lots of data, but i'm not sure whether it is all usable?

Thanks so much