Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

What should I do? (PhD advice)

D

I graduated with an undergrad degree in 2007 in Communication and Poli Sci. Last year I got a full-time job in a computer position at a school district, got married and started grad school in communication on the basis of me wanting to eventually get a PhD and become a professor. I love the media and effects of the media on people, vice versa, so I love talking about and learning about new media and communication and new technology and communication.

Life happens, of course, and we are now expecting a child here in a few weeks. I'm starting my second year of the Master's program and am debating what to do when I'm done with this year. My wife works full-time as an accountant.

I basically have two options:

1. Keep the job I have, stay in the same city, do not go for the PhD. Great benefits, decent pay (school district remember), close to home, be comfortable. Go for this career in Technology Education.

2. Go for the PhD, quit my job, wife quits her job (because we have to move), stay in school for 4-6 years and then start career in professional research and teaching at the college level.

It seems apparent to me that the PhD option number 2 isn't the greatest for the short term, especially in this economy. In the long term, I think I could be happy with a career in Technology Education, but I might always think that I didn't go for the PhD and maybe do better for myself. Seems like option 1 would be the easy route and I wouldn't be as challenged.

I'm just looking for advice on your end. If you were in my situation, what would you do, etc. Just general advice.

Thanks.

L

Hi there,

I'd be very wary of making this decision just before a major life change (i.e. the birth of your first child). In your shoes I'd give myself a couple of years to adjust to new circumstances before deciding whether to go for the PhD option. What are your wife's thoughts about it?

Have you thought about going part time and possible staying where you are? In my uni, its unlikely that part timers ever come in to the actual building and it would allow to be all responsible and keep the cash coming in for babygrows.

S

Just a thought...

It strikes me that in your description of option 1 and 2, you've focussed on the positives of option 1 and the negatives of option 2. Might be worth trying the other way round, i.e. describe the negatives of option 1 and the positives of option 2?

Life is scary buddy, be brave in whatever you decide.

D

Quote From lupinpooter:

Hi there,

I'd be very wary of making this decision just before a major life change (i.e. the birth of your first child). In your shoes I'd give myself a couple of years to adjust to new circumstances before deciding whether to go for the PhD option. What are your wife's thoughts about it?

We've talked about it and she said if we do decide for the PhD, we should wait a little bit, I guess my thinking was I would rather take my baby and move than take our kid out of elementary school to switch schools.

L

Quote From dwd3885:

We've talked about it and she said if we do decide for the PhD, we should wait a little bit, I guess my thinking was I would rather take my baby and move than take our kid out of elementary school to switch schools.

Your reasoning is sound, but that still gives you several years (I'm guessing you're not in the UK, but here children don't start school full-time until they are 4/5). The first year of parenthood is pretty exhausting and, well, life-changing, so I think your wife is right to suggest you wait for a bit to allow yourselves time to adjust to (and enjoy!) your new circumstances before making any other major decisions. Congratulations and good luck, by the way :-)

M

I think the general consensus is probably right: give it a couple of years and see how things look once you've adjusted to parenthood, had more of a chance to assess whether you see yourself staying in your current career long-term, and maybe get a bit of money saved up. I don't see any real reason to turn everything upside down all at once (new baby, new home, new income).

Family commitments (four kids!) kept me out of education for ten years - which really was too long - but if you're happy in your current job I don't see why sticking at it for a year or five should be a problem.

Just a couple of other points:

1. I'm not kidding about putting some money aside! We started out dirt poor (student parents) and have only ever had one modest income coming in, so it hasn't been an issue for me to go back to Uni now my wife's working. In fact we feel positively wealthy on a teacher's salary plus my studentship! But if you get too used to having & spending two decent incomes I can imagine it being hard for you to give up work and go back to Uni a few years down the line. Obvious solution (IMHO!): DON'T get used to spending everything you earn now, start putting a good chunk away to see you through your PhD. (Honestly, we know couples who really seem to struggle with money when they have kids, and it's not because they're earning less than us - it's because they're used to a two-income, no-kids lifestyle).

2. Moving schools isn't that big a deal for very young children. We moved to a new town when my oldest two were around six and eight, and although they were a bit sorry to leave friends behind they were quick to make new ones and get used to a new school. It's not like switching schools as a teenager with exams looming etc.

Best of luck anyway!