Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

When am I goin to start my lab????

B

Recently I have joined PhD and submitted literature review 2 weeks back but till date there was no progress in my research apart from start up of continuation report. I just asked my sup who told me to learn still the basics in lab......My query is:

1) When do we start lab after lit revw submission?
2) What is difference betwwen lit rew and continuation report apart frm word limit???
3) When do we go for out to give conferences??? I mean is it first year or after we get our results in second year???
4) Sometimes I feeel very distress cos I am on loan for my studies but I cudnt make out much???
5) How far does a sup play a role in giving ref for my funding application??

Please any one just help me......

V

Ok, in my experience (i'm a 3rd year genetics PhD):

1. On my first day of PhD i was completing risk assessments (which are laborious, but you must do), within the week I had started working in the lab whilst writing my lit review/project proposal.

2. A lit review is an up to date critical review of all relevant current literature on your PhD topic, a continuation report (which I am assuming is like a confirmation report where you say what your progress is) usually involves a lit review, methods and results you have obtained thus far

3. Conferences: you need to go when you start getting results, I went on my first 8 months into my PhD, I didn't have a whole lot, but I gave a poster of my research thus far, then I spoke at my 2nd conference (1.5 years in) and I am speaking at an international conference (2.5 years in).

4. Not exactly sure what you are asking here, is this about money to support your study? If so, think about applying for a scholarship, saved me, and also doing some demo/teaching hours, MAX 5 hours per week.

5. In Australia, finding is generally considered before you begin your PhD, so if the lab has no money to support you, they won't take you, so I can't really help you on that one i'm sorry.

Anyway, thats my two cents! Everything is very stressful at the beginning, I was so nervous, I couldn't sleep at night I was so anxious, then you eventually settle and will love being there, promise!