Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Who to Ask for Postdoc References

I

Hi all,

Am applying to postdoc positions to start Oct 2014 and as usual they ask for three letters of recommendation. Good thing is my supervisor really likes me and will write something awesome for certain. Trouble is, who should I select for the other two? I didn't teach during my PhD, however I did act as a reviewer for a paper and the editor of the journal praised me for my excellent comments. Could I select him as a referee? I'm not sure I'd like to ask my examiners even though I passed with minor corrections months ago. Thanks.

P

As you've already scaled through the viva voce examination successfully, your internal and external examiners (together with your primary supervisor) should be able to provide you with excellent references: they all have up to date knowledge of the quality of your work. Otherwise, your primary and secondary supervisors (and may be your masters dissertation supervisor--if you're still in the same field, and s/he has a big name in the discipline, and you still touch base with her/him) should be fine. TVBW. Pat.

I

Thanks Patseya,
The only issue is that I passed with corrections and my supervisor suggested that I avoid them as rarely do the examiners act as referees (unless they were totally impressed with the thesis). I've had issues with my internal examiner as documented on this forum a while back. I've contacted my Masters supervisor and the editor of that Journal for which I acted as a reviewer and hope they respond. I'm trying to avoid my examiners after what my supervisor said. Does he have a point?
PS: what's TVBW?

P

TVBW means The Very Best Wishes. lol. I think it depends. If you can rely on any pieces of advice previously given by your supervisor, then, I'll take to his words. Note that he possibly knows these examiners more than you do, and may not want to tell you personal confidential stuff about anyone. I had better relationships with my MA lecturers, tutors, dissertation supervisor, etc., than with my PhD supervisors. So, I still use them (in addition to my PhD primary supervisor and examiners) as refrees! TVBW.

V

I have had some problems towards the end of my PhD and when job hunting I simply use those that I know give good reference and I can trust. I don´t worry about them not being some specific individual that I think someone would expect. I just say that I submit references from those that know me best and leave it at that.

V

I have had some problems towards the end of my PhD and when job hunting I simply use those that I know give good reference and I can trust. I don´t worry about them not being some specific individual that I think someone would expect. I just say that I submit references from those that know me best and leave it at that.

I

Hi Patseya
Sorry for my late response have been busy working on publications and postdoc applications- yeah in my case my relationship with my Masters supervisor was not great but my undergraduate and PhD supervisor love me. I asked them to write me references, and the third is from a former manager of mine at work where I used to be a researcher. As for Vimes, you're right: if you're not sure someone will 100% write you a good reference DO NOT ask them! That's the rule I'm following.