Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Word count query

H

Hi everyone, I just wanted to get an idea of what a typical word count for a PhD thesis would be. I am worried mine may be a little short. Our department maximum is 100,000 but there is no minimum listed. I am in a geography department (so generally the human geography thesis' are longer than the physical geography ones), but my background is in geology and earth sciences so I am less 'wordy' than most of the other people in my department.

My thesis will probably be around 60-70,000 words in total I think, and I just wanted to see how that compares with other people from similar disciplines?

T

I think that's fine. I think for biology my university says between 50,000 and 80,000 words but I believe this is just a guideline and you can have fewer words as long as you have given sufficient detail.

B

There is a uniform word limit of 100,000 for a PhD thesis from my university. Of course there will plenty of variation within that limit depending on the discipline. My PhD in spatial science (remote sensing) is just over 60,000.