Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Working in between BSc/MSc and PhD

I

Ok guys, I know there's another topic about taking a year out before doing a PhD, but I thought here I could be more focussed on this particular problem. I finished my MSc in Oct, and haven't had a job since. I'm applying for PhDs, so I'm not even guaranteed one of those come sept/oct (far from it!).

I'm just wondering what kind of work you guys did (if you did) in the interim between a previous course and a PhD. I've applied for a few things in my field (marine biology/fisheries), but haven't really had any success whatsoever. I don't even know where to look for jobs - jobs.co.uk, reed etc never have anything that seems suitable. I'm feeling that without getting experience in my field, I'm just going to be working -against- a goal of a PhD...

C

Hmmm, well I worked for a telephone company that had contracts with a number of big and prestigious uni institutions....I once knew loads about all the networks and technical faults! Argh!
I essentially disconnected non paying students, transferred lines/colleges and offered technical support over the phone.

Then I worked for a major insurer - ammending, cancelling and setting up household insurance. Zzzzzzz.

So yeah not the career path my MA prepared me for...but a financial neccesity. At least I am in my PhD now, and a job I like!

T

Well I first of all spent time working in technical support for a veterinary nutrition company.. giving nutritional advice to vets and nurses etc. But I didn't really like that job so I left with a view to do a PhD. But it left me with a free year ultimately, so I took a temping job in a local college to start with while i looked for a suitable science based job but nothing came up and I ended up staying at the college managing one of the sectors. It was completely unrelated to my degree and what i wanted to research but it gave me good time, project and people management experience which can be used in all walks of life including research.

T

I had a rubbish job not much related to my studies in my year out, but I supplmented that with conservation volunteering and other relevant activities.

I

OK - that does provide some comfort. I've seen some of my friends almost easily obtain jobs within their fields after finishing the masters, and it's depressing not only very rarely finding anything, but also not getting anywhere when you do. I guess going for anything and keeping in mind those key skills such as time management etc. is the way forward 8)
Cheers!

N

I worked for about a year in various PR/ arts management companies as an intern (so I didn't have that much money!). Not strictly related to my PhD which is in Historical Musicology but I gained valuable skills plus I hope this experience will be useful to get a job in one of these industries if I don't manage to get an academic job after my PhD.

Then I worked about 1,5 years in an IT helpdesk. Taking calls, resetting passwords and forwarding problems to competent technicians was not my dream job, but I managed to save a lot of money as it was well paid plus I could practice my languages and being paid for it as we were a multilingual team.

S

I worked as a political lobbyist between my MSc and PhD - nice salary which helped pay my uni fees!

B

I can beat that - I worked as a neutering coordinator between doing my undergrad degree and starting my masters. I spent all day everyday convincing people pepople why it was best to get their balls removed (their cats, that is)!

D

If possible try to get relevant work experience even volunteering as this will make you more competitive and look more dedicated!!!

B

Well, I've had the same experience so far and I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've completed a masters in Oceanography (marine science) here in Germany about a year ago now, and haven't been able to get accepted to a PhD or proper work that would count as experience in that direction since! I've worked for 5 months in a Dermatological klinik, managing their database which was okay. Now I'm giving English Lessons and I'm looking for a sensible job since it seems that finding a PhD position will take a little longer.

Have you had any success yet?

G

Is it right that you can't apply for a PhD while you are enroled on a Masters ?

J

before my phd i worked as a waiter and a cleaner - part time. i don't think anything could be worse than a manual job. but hey, i've waitressed a bit since i started my PhD. i put these on my CV - makes you look more like an all round person. people skills etc. so what i can say is, look for a relevant job, but if you can't find one, don't feel bad. go for whatever it is you find. eventually, its better than nothing - you either make money or gain skills or even both, and its not the end of your PhD dream. You can still get a PhD regardless.

R

to grob, yes you can.