Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Back from the second PhD interview

D

This time I wasn't as nervous as before even though some questions, again, were a bit difficult. I am not so sure if I could give them 'correct' answers. At the end of the interview, one interviewer asked me if I would accept the Mphil offer in case the university could not offer me a PhD place.

I know that I have little experience in and knowledge about doing research. But I have got a MA degree with research components in it (I did my MA thesis and took some research-related courses). If they did offer me a Mphil place rather than a PhD one, Should I accept it? I am talking about full time Mphil with a monthly stipend provided.

What do you guys think? I would like to get your advice? Thx

C

I personally would plough on with more PhD applications rather than accept an MPhil offer, but others may be able to shed more light on the value of doing an MPhil! I've heard of people being asked to register first for an MPhil and then at some point convert it to PhD as long as they're making enough progress, but I've never heard of an MPhil being offered as an alternative at interview stage before. Do you think they are suggesting that you take a longer route to getting a PhD, by doing the MPhil to get more research skills first?
Anyway, good luck and I hope you get offered the PhD.

S

hi dotdottung
I'm sure you did very well in the interview!

did you ask them if the MPhil could be "extended/expanded" into a phd? If it comes with a monthly stipend, it is a good opportunity and who knows--you might enjoy it and excel in it. On the other hand there is a time factor to consider, would you be prepared to spend this time doing another Masters instead of a phd?

love satchi

D

Hi Satchi,

My performance was just so-so. I didn't ask that question.....I never thought that the interviewer would say something like this. I said to them 'I will think about it' and 'I haven't decided yet'. I am not planning to do another MA program because it will not help me get a PhD offer or develop my career further. I am over thirty or so....... I am just thinking if I do a Mphil and then a PhD, I will turn 40 when I graduate.

Hi Chickpea,

The interviewer did not say that I should take a longer route to getting a PhD. But, I just think that they think that I am not good enough to be a PhD student at this stage so the interviewer gave me another choice. Anyway, I did my best in the interview.

Thanks for your comments.

C

Hi dotdottung
I am 43 and just started my PhD in September - never say never ;) I hope it works out for you.

D

I have just got rejected by another university where I was not invited for an interview even though I submitted two versions of proposal to them. My chance is getting lower and lower.....><

C

Sometimes they only shortlist a very small number of people for interview. Honestly, as long as you are getting some interviews, you must be putting in a good application. Don't be too disheartened.

T

I was asked the same question during one of my numerous phone interviews, i.e if I was willing to pursue an MPhil and my response was a big NO!! A week later, I got a rejection!!! Never give up!!

Here's the thing. The MPhil might be a 'way into' a PhD. This is particularly true in a small department where people might get to know you and realise how much you want to do a PhD.

T

I agree, many places upgrade the person from an mPhil to a PhD. You just have to ascertain if it's a definite upgrade as long as performance is satisfactory.

B

Years ago, a department at the University of Wales Bangor routinely would ask PhD applicants to first enrol and complete MPhil before starting and completing a PhD, maintaining that it's a tried and tested practice that worked well. It takes 5 years non stop (2 years MPhil; 3 years PhD) to get through the entire process. I simply declined taking it further and took my proposal elsewhere.

I

Hi dotdottung,
Don't be discouraged about not getting too many interviews I went through a similar situation job wise and I do recall that for my PhD only two universities accepted me out of 10. It is just getting EXTREMELY competitive to get anything these days whether PhD, postdocs, or jobs :(
Fingers crossed about your interview don't despair and just because they don't reply immediately doesn't mean it's a rejection. By the way, the MPhil could be a way into the PhD but if I were you, if the MPhil were longer than one year I probably wouldn't do it. Some universities have MRes degrees as well that are in effect 1st year PhDs might be worthwhile considering such courses.
Don't despair!!!! Keep applying and you'll get accepted I assure you!