Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Continually worrying. What should I think?

S

I had my PhD interview 2 weeks ago on Wednesday and two of the interviewing panel had to go away for a week, so they've only really had yesterday to discuss. I did send an email today and they told me this:

"Thanks for following up. We are still in process. [interviewers] discussed it yesterday after they came back from a week trip. I will let you know as soon as I can. "

It sounds silly but is it likely that they've extended the offer to the other candidate and have yet to hear back from them before telling me the outcome or is it likely they just haven't finished discussing? I'm kind of working myself up with the possibilities. Which one is most likely?

W

whilst they may have decided on a candidate it often needs to be signed off by heads of dept. This is what held up mine.

S

Do you then think it's likely they've given it to the other candidate?

S

Were you offered before the head of dept signed it off?

This is a sort of 'how long is a piece of string?' question in that really you can't assume either option is more likely at this point in time.

They may need to discuss it, they may need more time, they may not have even had the chance to really discuss or formalise it because they are busy and are meeting later...this would be one thing in a long line of things that they have to do and there is not enough evidence to assume that the reason they haven't got back to you a day later is due to a particular reason.

Good luck and hold tight...:)

W

No I wasn't told the outcome until everything was signed off. It's a case of being patient I'm afraid.

D

I was waiting for a good three or four months to hear back from the committee whether I got funding. It was nerve wrecking. I am sure you won't have to wait that long.

I would suggest trying not to assume anything at this stage. Don't panic!

Also 2 weeks doesn't seem that long for some academics! At least in my experience...

Hang in there. :)