Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

PhD Advert Question

S

I'm interested in the following PhD, but its listed as "Applications accepted all year round" without an end-date. I'm sure I'm being dense, but what does this mean?

Thanks

http://www.findaphd.com/search/ProjectDetails.aspx?PJID=5845&LID=735

T

It means you can apply any time... it probably also means you can start any time.

S

Hello Tree,

Thanks for the reply. I kind of hoped that was the case, seem a bit weird to me, but who am I to complain? I'll do some digging and get my paws on a contact address.

H

Sometimes PhD supervisors have a specific lot of funding awarded which enables them to take on a student to carry out a particular project.

However, this project is 'competitively funded'. This probably means that the department/faculty has a pot of money which can be allocated to a finite number of students within the department/faculty. Accordingly, supervisors are invited to submit project outlines to which potential students could apply. None of those projects are guaranteed to be funded; rather they will review all the applications across supervisors and make studentship awards to the best 5/10/whatever per term/year/whatever.

So, yes, you can apply at any time, but you might have to wait till the next funding allocation meeting for a decision, and although theoretically you could start at any time, there may be some restrictions (e.g. September or January only). There is also the possibility that despite being a good candidate you might not get the funding if a lot of people are applying for other projects related to the same pot of money. If you happened to come along with your own funding and met the academic requirements, the supervisor would probably be happy to have you.

In short it would be worth contacting the department to find out the specifics of the situation.

P

With the passage of time the development of online education in different areas has motivated students to enroll in different online doctorate degree and Phd degrees that can help them in progressing their future to completely new levels of professional and academic progress

S

Quote From HazyJane:
Sometimes PhD supervisors have a specific lot of funding awarded which enables them to take on a student to carry out a particular project.

However, this project is 'competitively funded'. This probably means that the department/faculty has a pot of money which can be allocated to a finite number of students within the department/faculty. Accordingly, supervisors are invited to submit project outlines to which potential students could apply. None of those projects are guaranteed to be funded; rather they will review all the applications across supervisors and make studentship awards to the best 5/10/whatever per term/year/whatever.

So, yes, you can apply at any time, but you might have to wait till the next funding allocation meeting for a decision, and although theoretically you could start at any time, there may be some restrictions (e.g. September or January only). There is also the possibility that despite being a good candidate you might not get the funding if a lot of people are applying for other projects related to the same pot of money. If you happened to come along with your own funding and met the academic requirements, the supervisor would probably be happy to have you.

In short it would be worth contacting the department to find out the specifics of the situation.

Now THAT makes an awful lot of sense, thank-you very much for the detailed explanation.