Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

3 Acceptances-How Paranoid Should I Be.

W

I have sent out all my applications a dn got three acceptaces (queen mary, Brunel and King's) but as yet I haven't secured any funding/scholarships.So I am totally freaking out

I will know whether I have or not in May.
So my question is how worried should I be?? (quite simply cannot do a PhD without funding) Obviously it's an intangible question and the best I can hope for is "My experience is..." or "Chances are that..." but any actual info form ayone with some experience would be great.

p.s. it's a politics PhD.

Anyone...????

H

It probably depends on which funding body you've applied to - there are probably different levels of competition for funding in different organisations.

Either way, freaking out isn't going to change your chances. Maybe channel that energy into coming up with a Plan B just in case?

Good luck

W

Something seems to be wrong with the way my first post came out (I can't read the fist line but it might just be something on my computer).
so just to be clear I've got three acceptances (Brunel, Queen Mary, and King's) but won't know about scholarships etc till May.

Any words of advice/encouragement/ experience anyone?? Liike I say, what I am most looking for is a guide to my chances (and as I say I do know that that's a bit nebulous..)

Most likely source will be the ERSC...

To the person who posted above, doing a PhD was my plan B. Coming from my background even after getting an M.A. distinction I had to convince myself that I would be able to even apply for a PhD place let alone get one. Not criticising your post though. I know yo mean well.

R

Like you, I am waiting for the outcome of funding applications, and can't follow through on offers of a place unless I am funded. In my experience, offers of a phd place are freely handed out by universities, but offers of funding are almost like golddust. I have a first class degree and a distinction in my masters (my discipline is English literature) but I have not received funding despite offers of places from universities, and being told that I have a strong phd proposal. It is incredibly disheartening to be in this situation, I don't know what I need to do or change to get funding.

That's just my experience though, I hope you get everything you have applied for!

W

Quote From rsheridan:

Like you, I am waiting for the outcome of funding applications, and can't follow through on offers of a place unless I am funded. In my experience, offers of a phd place are freely handed out by universities, but offers of funding are almost like golddust. I have a first class degree and a distinction in my masters (my discipline is English literature) but I have not received funding despite offers of places from universities, and being told that I have a strong phd proposal. It is incredibly disheartening to be in this situation, I don't know what I need to do or change to get funding.

That's just my experience though, I hope you get everything you have applied for!

Wish you the best of luck too.

Mine is in Politics.+ Got another acceptance so am now on four but still no talk of funding asyet.

I hope that it's not true that they throw acceptnces out like confetti by the way....

Is that other people's experience too???