Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Could I get funding?

N

Hi all,

Before I go talk this over with my MA lecturers, I'd like an idea of what my chances to get FULL-funding for a PhD in English would be, and to make sure I am eligible at all.

I'm French, but have been living in England for three years. I've been in HE in the UK for the last three years, which I read on findaphd was a condition for eligibility - however they talk about full-time education and which may be bad news: I did a year as an ERASUS student, and another for a PGCE-French course I didn't complete.

I have the diplomas the AHRC wants but my degree (obtained abroad) may be considered a 2.1 rather than a first. I'm still waiting for my MA results.

I would get brilliant references (even from the lecturers of the aborted course), and I have two or three possible projects in mind which I believe are all promising.

Now, do you think that I'm eligible for full-funding? What kind of an overall grade do you reckon I need for my MA, to make sure I have chances?

Thanks in advance for your opinions :)

N

Hum... apologies for that typo and that nonsensical bit somewhere in the middle of my previous post... I took away big chunks of my (long) original message, here's the result...

A

Well it's certainly true that if you are not eligible the chances of your application being successful are zero. Best to check with someone who has experience - maybe the postgraduate admissions officer in your department could help? The careers centre may also be able to give you ideas about various sources of funding, other than the AHRC, to which you could apply.

If you are eligible, I believe the success rate for applications to AHRC is around 25%, but as you'll be looking at a 2008 start at least you will have plenty of time to polish your application

N

Thanks for your answer :)
Yes, I am thinking of a September 2008 start. I intend to discuss at least my favorite topic with lecturers at my former University but am waiting for the MA results before I go to them or start working on a proposal. Also I want to ask them if they could think of someone who would supervise me, preferably in the geographical area I want (that should not be too much of a problem though as it includes London). Indeed I would have time to 'polish' it all for the application.
There is a good information service for the financial aspect of things at this University too, and I know they would be more than happy to help, but I can't go before a month or so (I am only back down there at week-ends).

A

TBH I'd start talking to people sooner rather than later. If like for me your MA results dont come out until well into the autumn semester, I wouldnt wait that long. It is suprising how long it all takes, and if you havent yet got a supervisor in mind it wouldnt hurt to start to identify one (by talking to people but also looking at who is working in your area) and get in contact. I suspect you may be eligible for fees only from the AHRC, but if there are things like university scholarships then getting in early is probably a good idea.

S

hi there,
since 2005, and btw thanks to a french student who took the issue to court, the paragraph about being in the UK for reasons of full time education does not pertain to students with EU nationality. so, to fulfill the residency criteria for eligibility, being a EU citizen, you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK for three years. for what reasons, doesn't matter. if you fulfill this, you are eligible for full funding. you get 'fees only' funding if you have EU nationality but have not been resident in the UK for the previous three years. so, i guess what you need to find out is, if being in the UK as an Erasmus student qualifies as being resident.

S

for the eligibility concerning quality of degree i don't know. i suspect in principle you are eligible with your degree, but your chances might be lower than if you had a first. if it is anything like the ESRC then your former qualifications make up about 30% of the assessment of your application, 40% going to your project description, and 30% to references. (am writing this up from memory, could be wrong)

N

Thanks everyone for your advice, and apologies for answering a bit late.
Shani your bit is particularly useful - I will ask at the finance office about my ERAMUS year, that is definitely something they should know. I am starting to research two potential projects thoroughly now, so I have that in hand when I go and talk to them at University. I'll let you all know how it goes

N

Upgrade:

I have decided to take the whole of this year off Uni and research those topics in depth, and apply only for a September 2009 start. I have been in touch with a former lecturer of mine who, although he could not supervise me, is happy to give me advice on the research I am doing on the side at the moment, and on the application process when the time comes. I got a good grade for my MA dissertation too, so he believes I should take all my chances for funding as I could argue I am getting used to the English academic system nice and fast and the progression in my grades shows it well. I'm thrilled... except now I have to do all the research work on top of a full-time job - it's going to be quite a year...

S

i'm glad to hear you found a way to go forward which is right for you. at the very least, starting in 2009, you should not have any problems concerning eligibility for funding. just make sure you are able to demonstrate that you have been resident in the UK from sept. 06 onward - that should be easy, considering you have been registered as a masters student and then have a job for the next years.