Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

EPSRC funded PhD and work on contract.

B

Hi there.

I'm just wondering whether there is any formal obstacle to take up some contract work (let's say carried out mostly in evenings) so to eke out a bit more while being funded as a PhD student by EPSRC.

Cheers,
Peter.

S

is a bit of a grey area - most contracts usually state that you may NOT undertake any other work apart from your PhD - not sure of the official reason - it may be because you don't pay tax on your PhD earnings

However as long as it doesn't interfere with your work I think most supervisors would not stop you - but to be honest its best to check

I would think twice about it as the PhD is hard enough

Most folk live quite well on their PhD income these days

B

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've dug up somewhere in FAQs that I could eventually go for part-time EPSRC funding along with time and subsequently I'm welcome to undertake other opportunities as well - this also sounds like loads of hassle. My chief point is that I'm coming from a professional background already so EPSRC means actually significant reduction in my salary :/ Unluckily, the reality is EPSRC is a way more secure way to have money throughout the period of studying for a PhD. I don't like the choice am facing now ...

Thanks,
Peter.

S

many people have to make the sacrifice - but the good news is it is only temporary (3-4 years) and after that your earning potential or job prospects are better I presume

sometimes you just have to take the hit to get what you want

It is often possible to do some teaching or demonstrating to increase your pay.

but as for woek outside of this - I'm pretty sure the answer would be no

B

Yeah, I guess you're right. Anyhoo, if any of you have any interesting opinions to share, please write about it here :)

Many thanks.

S

Many university have a regulation saying grad students on a FT cannot work (apart from dept teaching) in any capacity no matter how they are funding. Check your university to see if they allow this - it really can be a big problem (I was caught out on this in the past and told to stop immediately).

Be carefuly also, unless you are part-time, it can be VERY difficult to finish if you work as well. I have been very tempted but apart from my first term I have resisted.

S

'on a FT' should be 'on a full-time PhD'...