Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

ESRC funding nomination

R

Hello! I have been compelled to post here to stop myself going completely mad. I received an email in February to confirm that I have been nominated for an ESRC studentship, and that the nomination has to be approved by the Academic quality committee for the white rose doctoral training centre. I was just wondering if anyone is in the same position, or has been in the same position. Is the approval just a formality? I am definitely not in open competition, I have been told that I am one of four nominees for four studentships.I'm going nuts waiting for a letter that should have arrived in early April!

P

Found this online

'How to apply

Applications for ESRC Discipline, Pathway Development and Advanced Quantative Methods studentships for 2013-14 entry are now closed.

ESRC funded Network and Collaborative projects are still available with various deadlines.

Applications will be considered by academic departments and, following a departmental selection process, applicants will be informed if are being nominated for an ESRC WR DTC Discipline/Advanced Quantitative Methods (AQM)/Network/Pathway Development or a Collaborative Studentship. The White Rose Academic Quality Committee will review the nominations and decide on the final list of awards.

The final outcome is expected to be known by early April 2013 for Discipline/AQM and Pathway Development Studentships and the end of April 2013 for Network and Collaborative Studentships'

It is not 100% clear is it? looks like there is some kind of selection process though - sounds like you should hear soon ! good luck!

P

p.s. if you have been officially informed you are one of 4 nomimees for 4 studentships it does look like a good outcome is coming your way :)

M

Hi, I am in exactly the same position with the White Rose DTC. As far as I am aware the departments nominate their chosen candidates and it must then be approved by the committee. I am hopeful that so long as the committee have no major objections then they will authorise the nominations. We should hear quite soon.

R

@psycheresearcher - Thanks - it's weird isn't it? I've seen different wording on different uni websites too, relating to how much say the AQC have! Like, the email I got from the university said things like 'we look forward to you joining our school'. I thought maybe it was like the quota places, whereby the decision is really made by the uni and then rubber stamped, but what you've posted sounds like the AQC have more say than that....ARGH!

@m_heneghan - Which uni have you applied to? I wonder what kind of major objections they might have?! Have you been given a firmer date than early-mid April? It's driving me nuts!!

M

University of Sheffield. No I haven't been given a firm date just that it will take place in April. I don't think the departments know for sure how much teeth the committee has. Pyscheresearcher's quote from the website suggests a fair bit. I haven't celebrated securing funding yet as I don't want to tempt fate. I really can't wait for the letter of confirmation, it is driving me crazy!

R

No, I emailed my department and they didn't know anything, I guess it's out of their hands now! I kind of celebrated the nomination but I think I'm going to apply for other departmental funding too just in case! I'm glad I'm not the only one in this position though. I wonder if there's anyone about who went through the same process last year? I almost wish I'd not been told about the nomination, and would just be told when it's definite!

M

At the risk of tempting fate I think it is highly likely that we have secured funding. In my department I am one of two people nominated for two ESRC studentships. I have a friend in the same position at the University of Glasgow. We should hear quite soon. My undergraduate result are quite poor which is my main worry - my MA results were good. Which uni have you applied to?

R

I've applied to Leeds. My undergrad mark is ok (2.1) and I have a good MA mark so I guess we're in a similar position! What I keep worrying about is that Leeds had more ESRC studentships for Sociology than the other unis (4) and I keep thinking it's a mistake and then only should have got 2 and then I'll be bumped off the list! Also whenever I go home I get a massive surge of disappointment when I don't have a letter on the doorstep!

M

I think they will definitely have 4 if that's what they advertised. Departments can part-fund ESRC studentships so that might have happened. I think our potential supervisors will know before us when it is cleared so we will likely receive an email notifying us. That should stop you waiting for the post...

Did your department interview you? Mine did and so that will go in our favour as the committee won't interview alternative candidates and should really trust the judgement of the department.

R

No interview! Just the nasty application form! Argh, I guess I'll just have to relax (if I can!)

M

Hey, my confirmation came through about an hour ago. All was fine so I'm sure yours will be if you haven't already received it....

R

I was told on Thursday following a moaney email to my department and now have my official letter and everything (which for some reason I am carrying around in my bag...). Congratulations - have you celebrated yet?!

M

Congratulations. Yes I had a little celebration on Friday night although I was so accustomed to waiting that it still felt like there was another hurdle to jump. It has now finally sunk in that I'm starting a PhD in September and I can't wait. It's hard motivating myself at work now as I just want to be studying. Good luck.

R

I'm also finding it hard to concentrate/motivate myself at work now that I know I'm leaving soon!