Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Pre-requisites to get funding from Uni

M

Hi All - newbie here so please be gentle!

I've just been accepted by Manchester Uni for a PhD and whilst I'm chuffed to bits at the prospect of working with the best academic in my field of studies I am obviously concerned with the financial side of things, having missed the deadline for the major funding bodies.

I am applying for a studentship and although I have asked what criteria they were looking at to be awarded one I did receive a straight answer so wondered if anyone here was willing to share.

I hold an MA from my home country (France) for which I was awarded 17/20 (equivalent of a distinction here I think), a PGCE and have also got an MSc from Manchester (back in the days where it was still called Umist...)for which I had an overall grade of B-: I have no idea what this stands for (was told it was just a pass/fail system although I was seriously confused when one student in my year got a distinction). Can that hinder my chances? I don't if this is relevant at all, but I'm also a working mum (part-time supply teacher) in my mid-thirties

M

apologies for all the typos!

R

Hi mami06,

just wanted to say to you: Welcome to the forum

R

O, yes regarding your question:
I am afraid that I do not really know the answer, as I am not fully familiar with the British system either. Sorry

M

Thank you!

S

It depends on your field and which funding body you are applying to - and whether you are going via a quota or as an individual. So not enough information really. I don't understand your MSc grade either. Although many are pass/fail, funding bodies will ask for the actual mark. A lot also depends on your project as funding bodies have areas of particulat interest whcih may change from year to year (but are often listed on their websites).

It is very hard to predict. Could you manage without funding or go part-time and continue working? In general, applications from mature students are well-received. Good luck!

M

Thanks for the reply - the funding is competition-based so I will be going individually: there aren't any other options it looks like. I have the support of my supervisor but as it's based on merit I'm not sure she can do much. My PhD will be in the field of translation studies.

I'm not holding my breath though as I'm sure fresher-faced young things with the right connections might be luckier!

S

I really don't think connections are a factor in these competitions. And age certainly isn't - I'm older than you and I know plenty of older students who have funding! But it's not all merit either - some project topics will be favoured over others and that can be very hard to predict. Certainly a lot of very good applications don't make it - just demand outstripping supply. Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones.

M

Thanks for your reply and good wishes. It's good to know that age isn't a factor - it is in so many other areas! I'm keeping my fingers crossed but if it all goes pear-shaped I'll be able to carry on supply teaching 1 day a week whilst doing my research and make up for it at the w/e.
The wait will be over mid-July so plenty more nail-biting for me!