Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

reserve n°4. Is there a hope?

F

Dear all,

I applied for a AHRC studentship through the University where I want to do my PhD. I have a very eager supervisor, a great topic, and overall this application was probably the best I could ever do. Now I learned that I'm the 4th on the reserve list and I have to wait again 4 weeks to know if I can have this funding or not. It seems a bit hopeless to me: who's gonna refuse a PhD studentship? So I'm asking you guys, have you ever heard of people being on the reserve and managing to climb up? Have you ever heard of people having so many studentships offered to them that they had to turned down one?
Please tell me if it is completely absurd to still wait for this studentship.

S

hi frenchie I have to reply to your post. I was on a reserve list for my masters studentship. When they sent me the letter asking me if I wanted to go on the reserve list, I thought this was the CLOSEST I could get towards an european scholarship. I was also disappointed. But I said yes anyway. And then 1 week later, they offered me the studentship! For my phd application, I was also on reserve list for two scholarships.
Its not absurd to wait. But do look for other options while waiting.

Best regards satchi

P

I think, with all honesty, you're likely stuffed.
Even in my (very big) department they only have four PhD scholarships. You'd need everyone to drop out! Take a look at previous statistics on AHRC website on people who declined scholarships. There are virtually none. Admittedly this was when you could only apply to one Institution, but still, I'd start looking elsewhere if I were you.

F

Thanks for your replies although it just illustrates perfectly my state of mind : on the one hand, why not? and on the other hand, it seems just completely unlikely! Although, Pamplemousse, Sheffield University offers about 60 studentships (for either Masters or PhD), so I guess I'm 64th and then maybe it doesn't sound so absurd to hope that 4 of the first 60s will drop out. Satchi did you eventually got one of those scholarship?
Thanks to you both!

S

yes they gave me the european scholarship.
For PhD, I did not get the ones I was on reserve list.