Signup date: 03 Nov 2014 at 11:49pm
Last login: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:09am
Post count: 17
Just wondering if anyone has any recent experience with getting a mortgage on a PHD stipend? Both myself and my partner are PHD students and we would love to buy but we have no idea if anyone will lend to us? We have a healthy deposit due to inheritance and know that going through a broker is probably our best bet but would love to hear from anyone who has looked into this recently?
If you are on a tourist visa they may ask for proof of your acceptance to the University along with at least a month deposit too. It depends wherever you get a private landlord or go through an agency. Private landlords are likely to be more flexible (Plus usually no fees) but can be hard to find. Id check out Gumtree for private landlords and rightmove.co.uk if you're happy going with an agency. You will be able to contact the agency beforehand to see what evidence they will need. I secured a private rent in a weekend when I moved to England but it was tough going so providing you can provide the the right documents then two weeks is definitely doable.
Good luck with your search
Is it the exception as opposed to the norm for people to take just 3 years to finish their PHD in the UK?
I don't start until October and am being given a really generous stipend so won't need to work at all and my supervisors have made it pretty clear they expect it finished within 3 years. I'm assuming (I know that's dangerous) that as I will be able to focus entirely on my research that it is doable, but the previous comments are making me wonder if this is the case?
Would love some feedback from those in the know.
Interesting conversation, has anyone tried to remortgage recently with a PhD stipend as income? I'm going to have to switch my mortgage to a buy to let as I'm moving down south for my PhD. I'm getting a really decent stipend, which is pretty much double the going rate for stipends in the UK but am a bit concerned from the chat I'm seeing here that it won't be enough... Anyone got recent experience?
I was in a very similar situation. I applied to two universities at the same time. Got an offer from the first university and accepted as I hadn't heard from the second. I ended up being offered a fully funded PhD from both and ended up accepting the 2nd as the supervisor is highly regarded and the subject area was much more interesting to me. It was horrible having to withdraw from the 1st one but I had to think about what programme was best for me. I got a kind but short response back from the 1st university wishing me all the best and that was that. It's not nice to do and I did feel guilty but as you mentioned you do need to do what's right for you.
Good luck with your decision
Hi Lude, I can't speak for industrial PhDs but I had two interviews for health sciences PhDs and they were both completely different. One involved a five panel interview board who wanted to know all about me and my qualities and was very formal while the other was much more relaxed but wanted to know more about my knowledge of research methods etc. so I essentially am saying there doesn't appear to be a strict format for PhD interviews and it varies from institution. When will you hear if you're successful?
Best of luck
My understanding is that if you complete all modules of your masters but exit without doing the dissertation then you'll be awarded a post graduate diploma. If you have completed half of the modules then you can exit with a post graduate certificate. This was the case on my MSc but I imagine it varies from course to course and university to university. I would check with the programme leader or administrator first, to see what your options are.
This is a similar question so I'm not starting a new thread but I applied for three different PhD programmes at three different universities. I have withdrawn from one application and was successful at another. I have an interview for the 3rd but not until later this month. I have to tell the university that has offered me a place within the next week wherever I am accepting or not but I am holding out for the final interview in a few weeks.
Is it bad practice to accept an offer and then withdraw if a better offer comes along? Part of me thinks I should do what is best for me and I'm sure people withdraw offers all the time. I might not be successful at this final interview so don't want to throw my offer that I do have away.
Hope this makes sense and keen to hear your thoughts!
Masters DegreesSearch For Masters Degrees
An active and supportive community.
Support and advice from your peers.
Your postgraduate questions answered.
Use your experience to help others.
Enter your email address below to get started with your forum account
Enter your username below to login to your account
An email has been sent to your email account along with instructions on how to reset your password. If you do not recieve your email, or have any futher problems accessing your account, then please contact our customer support.
or continue as guest