2.2 to a 2.1 topup

A

Hi guys and girls,

So I've just finished my undergraduate degree, in biomedical science, and I had offers lined up that required a 2.1 - Now I've just missed out on the 2.1 by less than a % - granted I probably should have worked harder blah blah.
Anyways, I was wondering if there was any "top up" courses one could undertake to top up said degree,

H

Sometimes people do a Masters degree to improve their CV after a 2.2.

Have you checked with those offers that they wouldn't take you anyway, given that you were close to a 2.1?

Are you confident that if you took further courses, whatever issues that stopped you getting a 2.1 wouldn't recur?

D

Don't be silly. You know that there is no such a thing of topping up your degree classification.

Quote From drkl:
Don't be silly. You know that there is no such a thing of topping up your degree classification.

Not so sure (and no guarantee). If you're in the UK, you might want to contact the Open University to see if this is possible.

Your best bet is probably Masters to bump you up a notch.

Ian

C

To be honest it doesn't matter by what % you missed out, no one ever asks about the grades, just the 2:1 or 2:2.

In the first instance, I'd speak to the companies and explain, some may be less strict than others. Then if no joy with that, do a masters to top up.

I've got a 2:2 degree and a masters, and that was enough to get me into PhD. My undergrad is rarely relevant now.

T

You can't top it up, but you can take other classes, courses and degrees to improve your chances in jobs/further education.

Check that your offers really won't accept you first though.

W

You have 4 options from least to most work.

1. Contact the offer institutions and convince them to accept you.
2. Appeal your award with your University - from my understanding, if you are 2% or less from the boundary you can appeal the decision to see if they award the higher banding. Check you University guidelines on this.
3. Credit transfer to a new degree. Only a certain amount of credits from tour existing degree will count. Of course your credits have to fit in with that degree and you have to make sure the remaining credits you can study don't actually cover the same material you already have in the transferred credits.
4. Do an MA and try and get a Merit grade but preferably a Distinction.

Good luck.

Quote From wowzers:
You have 4 options from least to most work.

1. Contact the offer institutions and convince them to accept you.
2. Appeal your award with your University - from my understanding, if you are 2% or less from the boundary you can appeal the decision to see if they award the higher banding. Check you University guidelines on this.
3. Credit transfer to a new degree. Only a certain amount of credits from tour existing degree will count. Of course your credits have to fit in with that degree and you have to make sure the remaining credits you can study don't actually cover the same material you already have in the transferred credits.
4. Do an MA and try and get a Merit grade but preferably a Distinction.

Good luck.

The appeal might be worth a shot, though I'd chat with your tutors beforehand. They'll have a breakdown of your marks and suggest grounds for an appeal.

Ian