A confusing experience...

F

I just went into Uni to pick up my second MA essay, and found out I had a really good mark for it, which means that both the essays I've had back so far have been really good, so I was feeling pretty happy. I went to knock on my supervisor's door to have a chat about my dissertation, and she was full of praise and good words, and she told me that the lecturer who marked this second essay for me (who is also head of department and extremely intelligent, someone who I am quite in awe of) was really impressed and wanted to supervise my dissertation (we had discussed earlier in the year whether he should supervise me, but I elected to stay with my current supervisor), and that he wanted me to stay for a PhD, and all of this.

So I went to see him, as my supervisor said he wanted to meet with me... but speaking to him, he really didn't seem to show any inclination of supervising me, and when I told him what my current supervisor had said about him supervising me, he was like 'oh, so she doesn't want to supervise you any more then' and sort of ummed and ahhed and said I'd only have limited access to him because he was going away soon etc etc... which was a major comedown from all the sugar that my current supervisor had just poured in my ear.

Now I'm thinking - does she actually want to get rid of me, and not supervise me? Why would she say all these things which, to me, don't appear to me true? I can't imagine why she'd think I'm a liability, despite the fact that I haven't produced any dissertation work for her yet, because she's been so enthusiastic about my current progress. I just feel really confused and am not sure quite what to make of it - I definitely don't think this second supervisor thinks as much of me as she has made out. It's kind of taken the happiness out of getting a high grade back on my essay...

What do other people think?

S

Hey,

Hmmm this does seem a bit odd. I'd say the best thing for you to do to put your mind at ease would be to go back to your actual supervisor, and tell them about the meeting you've just had and see what they say then. Someone somewhere appears to have their wires crossed, and I guess this would be the only way to find out who!
Good luck, hope it gets sorted x

P

======= Date Modified 16 Jun 2009 16:11:46 =======
I agree, this sounds a bit like a "misunderstanding" between your supervisor and the potential sup. I dont think this should make you feel less proud of your excellent essay though.. sometimes academics can be a bit weird when it comes to interaction with people (interpersonal skills?!), or sometimes you just catch them when they have a lot on their mind (like the fact that they will be away a lot soon and all the other stuff they need to do before then).. Whilst it is really good to have enthusiastic supervisors, the most important thing is that you yourself are excited about the research topic, because that is what will make you keep on going ultimately (I think). I can understand that your exchange with the two supervisors was confusing, but let it not influence you too much, like I say, you might have just caught him in a weird frame of mind (or so).

M

I'd just like to second that reply - don't torture yourself wondering about hidden agendas etc., just talk to your supervisor and clear things up. I'm sure 'crossed wires' is right.

I wonder if this head of dept. is just one of those people who's not very good at dishing out praise and enthusiasm - I've had experiences myself where a tutor has seemed distinctly lukewarm in discussions about my work, but gone on to give me excellent marks. In the end I decided to interpret his 'lukewarmness' as evidence of the fact that 1), he felt it more important to focus on constructive criticism than praise and 2), he had very high expectations of me and hence wasn't too amazed when I lived up to them!

T

Hi,

I regularly supervise dissertations, mainly at undergraduate level, however, I can relate to the situation you have outlined. As a supervisor, when I get a strong student i am often reluctant to take them on and try to send them to the most experienced academics within the department only to ensure I don't let them down in the supervision and thus have a negative impact on grades.

I suspect that your first supervisor is trying to ensure you have the best possible supervisor to allow you excel in the dissertation as you have done in taught modules.  Unfortunately, however, maybe the supervisors she considers the strongest for you and your topic is, as is often the case with senior staff totally bogged down with work and also does not want to let you down.

I don't think for one minute either supervisor is implying your a bad students etc. I think she is saying your an excellent student and I don't want to spoil your chances. From experience the best students are the hardest to initially accept as you don't want to let them down, however, as I have just experienced, when you get over this initial fear, supervision of such people is an absolute pleasure and really makes the job worthwhile.

Have a chat with your original supervisor, I really don't think there is a problem, other than she wants the best possible outcome for you.

Us academics do actually care about students and want to get the best outcome we can for you. Hope this reassures you a little and gives you a view from the other side of the fence so to speak.