ACA or CIPFA?

I

Hi

I am currently looking for jobs after my postgrad degree and even though I would much prefer not going there it seems that audit firms are one of the best chances.

Now to make it short what is "better": ACA or CIPFA? What involves longer hours, more work for the exam etc.?
What is more interesting?

I

No feedback? Come guys. Thanks :)

D

If the choice is ACA (from ICAEW) or CIPFA: ACA by a long way. ACA would be harder but would likely lead to a job with far more responsibilities and pay, whereas CIPFA is unlikely to be viewed as particularly transferable from the public sector to the private sector.

There are two other accounting bodies that you might like to consider: ACCA or CIMA. Personally, I think the job of management accounting (CIMA) is far more interesting than a job based on financial accounting (ACCA). However, I think ACCA offer their qualifications through Oxford Brookes and this is quite respected.

So, of the four, my preference in order would be: ACA (from ICAEW), CIMA, ACCA then CIPFA.

But then, its been ten years since I worked in industry... I'm sure others will have different opinions.

I

I saw a few jobs ads for Public Sector Audit Graduates. What is the difference from such a role to a "regular" Audit Graduate? Is the workload different? Hours? Level of stress/pressure?

E.g. in a city like Edinburgh or Brighton??

Thanks lads!!

I

Additionally, is the recording of the time you spent on client work really that strict and how does it work with the statistics that are produced out of it? What if there is not enough work so you got bad stats???

I

No one? Please...thanks....

D

Traditionally, the public-sector has been seen a less stress, less money but a better pension. However, this has changed dramatically in recent year. Last I read, the Tories were thinking of getting rid of the National Audit Office — those who effectively audit the public-sector auditors — and if this went ahead it would likely lead to an increasing work-load and responsibility for public-sector auditors, albeit with little extra pay.

Stats wise, the chances are that in the public-sector there will always be work for you to do. So, here it will be more of a case as to whether you are able to complete your audits within the allocated time-frame. In the private-sector it is heavily dependent on who you work for...

If I recall correctly, specific Graduate entry programmes for the public-sector are really competitive. However, standard entry positions tend to be much easier to come by and do not offer that much less.