Advice

A

I am a first year masters student in an urban planning program. I emailed my professor to request discussing the reading after missing a class. His initial response was yes, set a time. I then accidentally messaged him a thank you meant for another professor. He messaged me with ???? and I appolagized for the mix up and set a time. He then responded with this.

"4:30 pm is fine as long as the mewing needs are brief. I leave at 5:15 pm sharp for a southbound train."

I looked up "mewing" and it is defined as--" a cat or some kinds of bird) make a characteristic high-pitched crying noise.
"a throng of cats and kittens mewing to be fed"

This was Wednesday. I haven't responded and I have class with him on Tuesday.

What to do?

I am a female student and he is a male professor. He has also asked me in office hours before how old I am.

T

Quote From Adobe:
I am a first year masters student in an urban planning program. I emailed my professor to request discussing the reading after missing a class. His initial response was yes, set a time. I then accidentally messaged him a thank you meant for another professor. He messaged me with ???? and I appolagized for the mix up and set a time. He then responded with this.

"4:30 pm is fine as long as the mewing needs are brief. I leave at 5:15 pm sharp for a southbound train."

I looked up "mewing" and it is defined as--" a cat or some kinds of bird) make a characteristic high-pitched crying noise.
"a throng of cats and kittens mewing to be fed"

This was Wednesday. I haven't responded and I have class with him on Tuesday.

What to do?

I am a female student and he is a male professor. He has also asked me in office hours before how old I am.

Over-reaction alert!!!

Probably a typo and just meant to write meeting!

A

That's actually a funny typo!!! I wouldn't worry.. as Thesisfun says it's just a mistake. I would have replied something like "I will keep the crying to a minimum!!"

T

Quote From AOE26:
That's actually a funny typo!!! I wouldn't worry.. as Thesisfun says it's just a mistake. I would have replied something like "I will keep the crying to a minimum!!"

This thread made me chuckle!

A

First, I bet the respondents are men. Second, I met with him and that's exactly what he meant.

D

Quote From Adobe:
First, I bet the respondents are men. Second, I met with him and that's exactly what he meant.

they are not all men ;)

Don't engage Adobe-don't respond to his humour. Just be business like and if possible, when you do need to catch up outside of class, have a friend with you while you ask questions. I don't mean make this a big deal, just be totally professional, limit your communications to the study and don't spend time with him outside of class asking questions unless you are doing it with a companion near by. If you follow all of this-it shouldn't even be an issue. Like everyone else I thought it was a typo-but even if it isn't it just may be his strange sense of humour. Having said that you don't have to like it or respond to it.

A

So he actually meant to say 'mewing'?? Is he the jokey type and meant no harm or is he being serious? If the former then I'd laugh it off.. if the latter I'd ask him to explain himself in person.

Yes I am a man but my experience (in business) has taught me to be thick skinned and to stand up for myself - and no - I am not saying you do not.