Am I eligible for post grad funding?

S

I was born in the UK, Irish mother and Australian father. Went to live in Ireland when I was 12/13. Am currently studying for a History Masters in UK and am funding myself. Am I eligible for a bursary which would cover fees and living allowance if I am accepted to do a PHD in the humanities area?

S

check the AHRC website for details, but in general, if
- you have EU citizenship
- you have lived in the UK for the last three years before your PhD starts
-then you are eligible for full studentships (ca. 12'000£/year plus fees, for three years)
if
- you have EU citizenship
- you have lived in the EU (outside of the UK)or Switzerland for the last three years
-then you are eligible for fees only studentships.
be aware however that these are (both) very competitive.
some universities provide their own studentships which are sometimes independent of citizenship and previous residency.

S

Thanks Shani
Is there anywhere I can check for other sources of funding?

S

Hiya,
Just wanted to ask when you say Ireland do you mean the Republic or Northern?

S

Republic

S

You are an EU citizen so I would think so

S

unfortunately, citizenship is only of limited relevance. without the residency, there is no nationality that will get funding.

re other sources: check out http://www.educationuk.org/pls/hot_bc/bc_edufin.page_pls_user_scholarship

that is a database that lets you search for possible funders.
good luck!

S

Thanks Shani, will check out the other website

V

You need to be a home student (have British citizenship). But PhD funding is individual and does not solely depend on this.

V

I forgot EU citizenship is also fine.

S

Thanks very poor! I'm considering reviewing my choice at the moment but am delighted to have had info from you all