Application withdrawal if no Funding

W

Hello All,
I am new to this idea of studying in UK and admissions procedure that is involved. I just wanted to know if we need to pay any amount to the universities before we get funding so as to reserve a seat.
Thanks

U

======= Date Modified 07 Jun 2010 14:04:10 =======
Some universities now ask overseas/international (i.e. non-UK and non-European Union) students to pay a 'deposit' upon accepting an offer of a place on a degree programme; this happens months BEFORE enrollment, so if you change your mind about enrolling you just lose the money. The rationale behind this is that once you've accepted an offer of a place at a university, they reserve a seat for you on their programme. Given that there is a limited number of seats each year on every programme, they might have to reject someone else's application in order to be able to offer the place to you instead - this happens when they don't have enough places. If you then change your mind they would in effect have lost both: you, and the person they rejected in order that they offer the place to you instead.

Not all universities ask for a 'deposit' - mine does, but lots of others in the UK don't. Also, many programmes are fully aware that people will accept a place tentatively until they know whether they are successful in obtaining funding or not. Ask the admission's department at the institution you're thinking of joining on their procedures (this will differ from one university to the other). Funding results are announced (for international students around April to May), but national funding results are not announced until July or August, so universities know that students will need to wait until then. Just communicate your query to your university of choice directly - they'll be able to help you and confirm whether they do have a 'deposit' requirement or not.

W

Thanks alot... can you tell me how much will the deposit be around?

U

======= Date Modified 07 Jun 2010 19:09:29 =======
Depends on the university. Not all of them ask for deposit, only some of them. You really need to contact the admissions office at the university you're planning to go to and ask them if they require a deposit, and if so then how much it is. Also, look at the university's website; they usually have this kind of information stated clearly in the pages which deal with 'International Students'.