BA in Leeds University

A

Hello everyone.. this is my first post in this forum :$

Am planning to finish my degree this summer, in E-business Technology and Management. A very interesting topic, in my opinion, which gave me the opportunity to discover many new things and gain lots of knowledge around this area...(which i really like). I am applying for a an MA to Leeds university and am looking for students from Design department or Business department to tell me some info about Leeds university and some feedback related to those two departments. I will apply for MA in Advertising and Design or MA in Advertising and Marketing. If any of you is currently a student in any of those two degrees i will appreciate it if he/she can give me some more info!

Thanks a lot for the help :)

D

Hi,

While I obviously don't know the full ins and outs of the situation - It looks like there could be big changes ahead at Leeds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WJSvMpTax8 I'm not sure as to how this will impact on either of the departments you are applying to though.

Of course, such cuts, although perhaps not quite as extreme, look quite likely elsewhere as well.

A

Hi Dont_run_on_time,

Thank you for the link, to be honest i was not aware of this since this morning. I can see that is an important factor which probably will result in lowering the quality of education and research for the university. I found an article saying that initially will affect some other departments (mainly Biological Science and School of Health Care), but i think in general will have a negative impact for the whole university. In the other hand i really want to attend one of those two MA's so am a bit confused now.

Thanks again

A

nothing? nobody? :-(

S

First of all don't panic! I studied at Leeds and I currently work there and so am involved in the 'economies exercise'. What is happening at Leeds is a result of a national funding crisis- the government perceives of universities as inefficient systems, and this perception is likely to be intensified whatever the election results this year. Consequently, all Universities will be operating on a significantly reduced funding council income from 2010 onwards. The main priority at Leeds throughout all this uncertainty and change is to protect the student experience. One possible impact is that we might see a reduction in the amount of scholarships and bursaries offered to new students. If you are applying for entry in 2010 this shouldn't affect you because the University will honour its advertised scholarships. By next year all of the decisions should be made, and the changes will begin to be implemented, and so you will be in a better position at Leeds than if you started a course somewhere else only to find yourself in the midst of restructures, reviews and unrest. Leeds is a great University with a fantastic postgraduate community and it has the tools to sustain this reputation in future years. The NSS scores are consistently high and the University is well-ranked in the league tables with an strong international research profile. Although I did not study at the Business School but I know that it is considered to be one of the University's 'peaks' and its academic staff are first-rate.