Distinction, Merit, Pass...

R

Hi guys,

I got a 1st in my undergrad degree and am now doing a Masters. If I get a Merit in my Masters, should this be viewed as a bit of a failure given that I got a 1st at undergrad?

(I was never a good student, but these days there are even more distractions in my life. I have done 33% of my Masters and have a 65% average. Even if I do motivate myself, to get 70% overall would be really really tough. And a Merit is definitely not guaranteed either, I would probably need a bit of luck even for that).

Thanks a lot,

R

Does anyone know what percentage of students typically get a Distinction or Merit??

E

Afraid I don't know but I do know many people who claim to have got a distinction !

I'm aiming for one myself but not sure how seriously grades at Master's level are taken when applying for scolarships etc.

Good luck what ever you decide.

R

Cheers for that.

(Actually I am not planning to do a phd. I have got a job lined up instead, conditional on me passing my Masters. But I always aim to do as well as I can in everything I do in life so I guess I should keep an open mind about a possible Distinction. I am just worried that I do work harder and then just get a 68% or something, but then again there is this quote ... "To be successful your desire for success must be greater than your fear of failure"... )

I take a guess and say roughly 10% of students manage a distinction?

R

I understand where you are coming from. I got a first in my undergraduate degree and am doing an Msc at the moment. There may be a feeling and unless you get a distiniction then you arnt as good as you thought you were but I wouldnt think like that. Grades only matter when applying for a PhD and to be honest 65% is a very solid pass. I'd be quite happy to take 65% for my pass mark if I was offered it know. One thing to remember is: you got a first and know one can take that away from you. regardless how good or bad this masters goes. But im sure youll do fine

M

Hi, different people have different opinions but if you got 1st in your undergrad and Merit in your Masters than it won't be looked on as a failure. You have to remember now that half of the universities in the UK doesn't give a Merit or a Distinction, they just give a pass. When you apply for jobs they will ask you whether you have a Masters or not, regardless of a Merit or a Distinction. It's different when you apply for a PhD especially if the competition is hard.

Masters is tougher than Undergrad and you need D- to pass your undergrad and a B to pass your Masters. If you apply for a PhD, what's really going to count is your Masters project. Hey, 65% is a good mark.

MH