Do I need a Masters?

S

Hi
I am at the end of my undergraduate degree. I want to do a PhD and go on to be a research scientist in a biochemical/medicinal field.
My question is, do I need to get a masters degree first in order to be accepted onto a PhD course?
I have had conflicting advice on this so need it clarifying.

Thanks in advance

P

There are quite a few projects out there that can be entered without a Master's degree as the PhD includes a Master's degree.
It's normally stated in the "requirements" section of the PhDs anyway what degree is needed.

J

It depends on the institute and the course, I went from a BSc straight into a PhD in Life sciences, just keep looking to see whats available and what the requirements are.

S

Hi Sciencegirl,

I do not have a masters and I am on a fully funded research council studentship, so I would say no. My field is science/developmental medicine.
(up)

S

Sorry should have mentioned my PhD is the three year type.

S

This is good to hear! I want to go straight to a PhD because I have bee doing my degree part time and it's already taken a long time. A maters would only add more time and I doubt I could fund it.
Thanks for your replies

K

Hey! It depends on the subject, so I would check with a few universities first. For my subject (clinical psychology) an MSc is esential, and is a requirement for entry onto a PhD. However, for other subjects there is no need for a masters- with straight sciences such as biology it's much easier to get a fully funded PhD without a masters. I have quite a few friends on fully funded PhDs in Biology with a 2.1 BSc and no MSc. In my psych department there are around 80 PhD students and I don't know of anyone without an MSc! So check it out with the universities you are applying to to be sure. Best, KB

S

Thanks KB. This is good advice.