Doing my research to choose the right HRM Masters course

C

Hi,

I am currently doing a bit of research to see what courses area available for a Masters in Human Resources Management (HRM). I'm more interested in a specific area of HRM, which is Performance Management so I think I'll be choosing a specific course rather than a general HR one. I would have to choose a course by distance learning as I'm not planning to do the course on a full-time basis for now.

I would really appreciate if anyone can suggest a good university with HR courses? Especially if someone is currently reading a Masters in HR.

Thanks a lot.

Charlene

C

Hi Charlene, I've just completed a PhD in performance management (well, performance monitoring, which relates to performance management). My field is occupational psychology, and I did my masters in this area originally, though I did do a BA in Management originally. Anyway, I can't recommend HR courses personally, but may I suggest you consider occupational psychology as another potential discipline for the subject you're interested in? The Institute of Work Psychology at the University of Sheffield runs excellent courses (I would say that though, I went there! (up)). For HR courses specifically, you want to find a good business or management school instead. Aston, Manchester, Warwick and Cranfield are up there, so I've heard. Good luck!

C

Charls,

I really appreciate you replying to my post.

I have graduated with an Hons. degree in Management also and to tell you the truth I'm still not really sure whether to go for a psychology-based course. I had found a Masters course in Psychology of Work however I was worried to take it since I would be leaving the management area and start studying something completely new i.e. psychology. Another fact which worries me is whether I will find a good work opportunity in occupational psychology in Malta after I finish my course.

Thanks for suggesting some universities...I was considering University of Leicester as they offer most of their courses by distance learning but will definitely would like to consider others.

Charlene