extremely sad of phd hunting

J

At the moment I am doing MSc Chemistry in one of the universities in london. My bsc was actually BSc(Hons)Biochemistry instead of chemistry.

Now I am struggling of searching any phd that available for international students *my foundation and bsc were actually completed in uk instead of my own country* but i dont think it is helpful for my phd application ?? but i havent seen any phd that suits me. I hope I can do something related to drug design to cure cancer. I am so so sad and so down..............I am not a first honour student but i am working hard ! i really wish i can get a phd to settle my next 3 years life and before my visa expires..............anyone has the same situation?

a sad girl =(:-(

S

i don't have the same situation, but that sounds pretty normal to me.  PhD hunting is never easy. For anyone.

I remember when i was hunting, 99.9% of ads i saw were not suitable for me.  It made me question whether i had made the right choices in life - should i have trained with different techniques? should i have payed more attention to certain lectures? should i have tried harder to get a 1st instead of a 2.1?

That's just the nature of the beast. PhD's are so specific, it is inevitable that 99.9% are unsuitable for you.  You just have to search hard and long enough to find that 0.1% of PhD that suit you.

Don't think you're being too picky either, you shouldn't have to settle for something you're not happy with, you'll only regret it.

Self motivation is a pre-requisite for a phd, so think of this as a test.

Don't give up now!

J

thanks for you reply ! i will !! :-) (right now i am writing my msc report dissertation.....so so down !!)