Funding for a Distance-Learning Psychology 'university certificate & MSc'?

J

Hi all,

I have been offered a place on a (get ready for it) Distance-Learning Conversion Psychology MSc, which requires me to complete a 'university certificate' in Psychology in order to progress onto the full MSc course.

I have just been declined a Career Development Loan from Barclays Bank and have been told that due to my poor credit history, I can expect the same response from the Co-Op bank.

I've had a good scour through the British Psychological Society's database of funding opportunities (and Googled to high heaven) and have found nothing in terms of financial aid for someone converting to a Psychology Msc (my degree was in Multimedia Technology).

Any advice/links/ideas???

Many thanks!

D

I was in a similar situation a few years ago and couldn't secure any forms of funding (I wasn't prepared to take out loans though). Very honestly, I think you'll find it nearly impossible to secure funding from a sponsor or organisation and your best hope would be a current or future employer (if they could see the benefits for them). Best of luck trying though.

J

Hi Delta,

Thanks for the reply.

Did you manage to find any funding in the end?

I'm so surprised at how difficult it is to secure funding in this country considering the amount of international student funding that's out there.

Thanks for the advice, I doubt I'd be able to get any form of support from a business as my degree isn't in Psychology.

Thanks again for the reply.

D

No and I tried all different sources and websites and so sadly I had to kick the idea of that MSc into touch. I do think you'll struggle but admire you for trying.

D

Quote From jenkcole:

I'm so surprised at how difficult it is to secure funding in this country considering the amount of international student funding that's out there.

I could be because a lot of the universities are in debt, or at least that's my understanding, and so cost cutting comes into play.

J

I think it's terrible that money stops a person from continuing their academic ambitions.

I'll let you know if I get anywhere with my finance hunting.

D

I know, I was a bit choked at the time. Do let us know how you get on. It would be great if you could get something sorted.

O

I am agreed with delta above that it was difficult but not impossible to find sponsor or organization for funding, i also like education forum so much that's why i read many forum but i like this more, one think i want to say its not easy PhD in psychology because its totally you read what's going on in other mind. Best of luck for your work.