Funding for MSc

G

Last year i was awarded a 2.1 in Geosciences with Open University.
I have a place at Imperial College on there Petroleum Geosciences MSc starting in Oct 2009.
It appears i didnt get any funding through the University and various companies.
Has anyone got any advice on where i should look for funding?
Thanks

A

======= Date Modified 28 Apr 2009 11:26:02 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Content removed - advertising.

N

Rob a bank is my advice, im applying for similar courses and they're damn expensive. I think the unfortunate truth for people in our position who dont have commercial backing etc. is that top-level courses like these are for the most part out of reach. But if you do find something, spread the word, a lot of us need it!

P

Persist in your search for funding. Persistence pays! I graduated in 2005 with a bachelors (2:1) in Economics. Since then i have been searching for funding for my MSc without success until this yr wen i finally secured funding for my MSc programme in d dept. of earth science and engineering at Imperial College London starting in Oct '09. So pls, dont relent in your search. Spread your search net as wide and far as possible.. and pray. Good Luck! (up)

Regards,
Pyemo

J

There are a number of people who managed to secure funding during the year (but that was before the price of oil crashed) – well there is also a hardship fund that you may be entitled to apply to through Imperial.

My first piece of advice would be to contact Imperial – Shashi Luther is responsible for the MSc admin side and I’d start by asking her what other options there might be.

I found the MSc a nightmare when I did it – stress doesn’t quite cut it but then again I wasn’t on the Geoscience MSc but I still think you should be prepared for the work load and the stress – whether or not its worth it in the long run…a better chance of a job etc maybe this is true but still I wish someone had let me know just how much work it was going to be – you have to be dedicated.