How can I stay calm???

T

Just a general release needed - 2 weeks away from my thesis being due at the binders feeling a bit crippled by panic. I think I am in a generally good position - just need to keep proof-reading, format references and write the conclusion. Problem is I am getting so worked up about it that I seem to be spending more time stressing than actually working. There are just so many little bits to do.

I very very much want to carry on in academia and the fact that all my plans ride on this mark is just so overwhelming! I get the feeling that it is common to doubt your work but do many others constantly feel as if they are goingto be uncovered as a charlatan at any moment???

I feel silly but its turning me into a manic! Constant highs and lows! Tell me this is normal?

P

Not being this far into my PhD, I can't comment too much about the completion phase. But here are a few pointers that hopefully will help.

1) Just think of how far you have come and be pleased with yourself that your made it this far. Have a big smile about it :-)

2) Try to set realistic targets for each day (dont think, I need to this, then this, then this). Have a day to day plan i.e. today - review 20 pages, tommorrow check 20 reference, etc. To finally reach to the last day and end target

3) I pray to our creator to help me thoughout the day, you could try praying or if your are not a religious person, try yoga or something every morning to help relax you.

All the best

Hi Tommy

Yes, it's normal! We all feel like charlatans at one time or another. We all suffer from imposter syndrome, convinced that at any moment our supervisors/other students/other academics wandering along a corridor are going to spot that we're not good enough for this, and turn and point and laugh, and kick us unceremoniously out of the door. And it never happens - so that's one good thing! I think such fears are natural when you consider how much we're all stretching ourselves, and how much this kind of work relies on us alone doing it and motivating ourselves. It's stressful - but it's also one of the things that makes studying at this level so rewarding, IMHO.

I think the advice to break down the work into small chunks so it doesn't feel overwhelming is very good. I'm not at the stage you're at yet, but even with smaller deadlines or just with the terrifying thought of how much is involved in writing a thesis, being able to break things into manageable chunks is so useful. It all feels more possible that way.

Also relaxing is a good idea, however you personally choose to do that! Take a deep breath, try to release the tension and feelings of panic. You can do this - plenty of other people have, and you've come this far already. None of the other people who've done this before are superhuman, so there's no reason for you not to be able to achieve the same.

Good luck!

S

Your in a pretty good position, your probably at that stage now that you just want every little thing perfect about it, I totally understand. When you put alot of time and effort into something its normal to feel overwhelmed by it.
Enjoy your thesis, treat it like your baby and watch it flourish each day. Try relax and appreciate having got to this stage with plenty of time still left. Well done!

T

Thank you for the replies. Feeling a bit better today, amazing what a good seven hours sleep can do (especially when you have a one year old).