How does (should) an advisor help you?

P

======= Date Modified 13 01 2008 23:01:23 =======
Hi everybody,

I've just joined a Master's program, where the bulk of my work will be to write a thesis. Now, I need to pick an advisor for the thesis and have been talking to a few people.

There is one person who has an excellent publication record, is chair of the department and does what I was intending to do when I joined the program. Now, the problem is, his style of "guidance" is basically an hour/two of discussions a week where he'll poke holes in your work. I've been reading some papers and talking to him, and what frustrates me is that he won't tell me where to look for additional info or what exactly I'm saying wrong, leave alone explaining things to me. I am told that he believes that students should learn to think on their own, and that doing anything more than what he's doing now will interfere with the learning process.

I come from a software development background. I always thought the advisor was a tech lead type of person, and all the tech leads I worked with were people you could go and discuss problems with, and they'd share their wisdom, experience and insights. Here instead, this guy is restricting himself to just pointing out what I don't know, with very little specific help.

I'm a little confused. Is this typical of academic advisors? Is it really going to hurt me in the long term if I'm told: "Maybe you should read paper X and you'll understand the problems with what you're suggesting", instead of "Do you think this will work? Think about it."

I'm seriously considering giving up on this guy and talking to some other more approachable folks, but I'd have to compromise on my area a little. What do you all think?

I'd appreciate all input on this.

Thanks in advance,
Pramod

P

Hi!

I get the feeling this is a US Programme? Anyway, here in the UK, 1 or 2 hours every week with a leading academic for a MASTERS, is more than enough, and i seriously doubt if you can rightfully expect more time than that, they have scores of masters students, lots of personal research, phd students, departmental duties, teaching duties and office hours to maintain.

That said, speaking for my school in the UK, which is one the UK's historically best known academic institutions, a Masters project is supposed to be "a piece of independent work". Our supervisors are not supposed to read drafts. they indicate towards literature but rightfully expect the student to have read till a certain point.

Now, a small story. My Masters supervisor, a hugely renowned academic, let me meet her every week for the dissertation period. Pramod, we hardly spoke in details about my 'topic'. But you know why? It was because we had the most FASCINATING and inspiring conversations about our mutual interests, research passions, our field of work, scholars and so on. In the end, all of that filtered into my thesis. I made an effort to look beyond my thesis, she responded and in the end, it all structured my thesis simply because my background knowledge had grown in leaps and bound. Finally, I gave up 7 fully funded PhD offers form across the Uk and the US, including fellowships, to work with her for my PhD, with very little funding available in my institute.

The moral is, dont go to your Masters supervisor expecting PHD level of supervision. They have too much on their hands. And honestly, if you are getting 1 hr each week , for a masters, i think its more than enough. Go to the meeting "pro actively", instead of epecting to be told. Read journals actuvely, mark out scholars actievly, prepare an agenda, send it to him in advance of the meeting, ask specific questions, "inspire" and "motivate" him.

Finally, nothing, can be more satisfying, than to be able to motivate your advisor. Best. (up)

A

1-2 hours of contact time a week is a LOT. I never saw my supervisor for my master's (ever: funtimes!), and I see my PhD supervisor every three weeks or so for an hour or two.

The picking apart your work: I think you have to ask yourself whether he's usually right or not. If he's improving your work, then stick with him, even if he's not sugar-coating it for you.

Finally, the issue with him not giving him you specific guidance (which seems like the biggy). Have you asked him for this kind of help in person? You can frame it as, "So, after our talk last week I went away and searched the literature. I've read these three papers; is there anything further on the topic that you would recommend to help me solve problem x?" That way it doesn't look like you're trying to get him to research for you, you're just looking for his input, and you've made it clear you're already doing the work for yourself. I'd definitely try asking him before writing him off as a supervisor based on what other people have said about his teaching style. My own supervisor has never given me that kind of specific, detailed research advice but, from other people I know, it can be really, really counter-productive: wasting a bit of time and making your own mistakes is part of the process, and you learn so much more in the long run.

What do you mean when you say he's not approachable? Is he hard to contact? Because that is the biggest alarm bell for me in a supervisor, much more than making you research things from scratch and being very critical!

P

@alicepalace

1-2 hours of contact time a week is a LOT. I never saw my supervisor for my master's (ever: funtimes!), and I see my PhD supervisor every three weeks or so for an hour or two.

The picking apart your work: I think you have to ask yourself whether he's usually right or not. If he's improving your work, then stick with him, even if he's not sugar-coating it for you.

Finally, the issue with him not giving him you specific guidance (which seems like the biggy). Have you asked him for this kind of help in person? You can frame it as, "So, after our talk last week I went away and searched the literature. I've read these three papers; is there anything further on the topic that you would recommend to help me solve problem x?" That way it doesn't look like you're trying to get him to research for you, you're just looking for his input, and you've made it clear you're already doing the work for yourself. I'd definitely try asking him before writing him off as a supervisor based on what other people have said about his teaching style. My own supervisor has never given me that kind of specific, detailed research advice but, from other people I know, it can be really, really counter-productive: wasting a bit of time and making your own mistakes is part of the process, and you learn so much more in the long run.

Thanks! This is good advice. Maybe, I'm was biased towards expecting too much help.

What do you mean when you say he's not approachable? Is he hard to contact? Because that is the biggest alarm bell for me in a supervisor, much more than making you research things from scratch and being very critical!

He's a very busy guy, and its quite difficult to get hold of him for a face to face meeting. I made up the 1-2 hours a week based on his other students, but the actual times might be a little lesser than that.

@phdbug

I get the feeling this is a US Programme? Anyway, here in the UK, 1 or 2 hours every week with a leading academic for a MASTERS, is more than enough, and i seriously doubt if you can rightfully expect more time than that, they have scores of masters students, lots of personal research, phd students, departmental duties, teaching duties and office hours to maintain.

This is actually in India. The M.Sc program here is slightly different - we do very little course, just one semester actually - and spend about 1.5-2 years writing a thesis. The criteria for passing out is a publication a top-tier conference. My advisor has 5 students.

The moral is, dont go to your Masters supervisor expecting PHD level of supervision. They have too much on their hands. And honestly, if you are getting 1 hr each week , for a masters, i think its more than enough. Go to the meeting "pro actively", instead of epecting to be told. Read journals actuvely, mark out scholars actievly, prepare an agenda, send it to him in advance of the meeting, ask specific questions, "inspire" and "motivate" him.

Ok, this is good advice too!

Thanks a lot folks! I really appreciate your advice.

P

Hi, I've studied in India, though not for an academic masters with such a huge thesis component. I have no experiences whatsoever for this, but I think, it may be useful to touch base with an Indian forum where there are actually people from Indian Higher Education discussing tips? They might be a bit more useful than us...also, check out the groups on the social networks, you may find some very valuable peer info there.

P

Hey Pramod,
I did my Master's in India.....and there all the Profs are busy.... and besides they are trying to make u prepared for a PhD...and since its ur dessertation, they expect u to do most of the work. The bulk of the work is given to u , the Profs are there to guide u and they wont spoon feed u like in the UK....actually u will really appreciate ur Prof when u do ur PhD in UK.... Basically what I am trying to say is that he seems like a nice person. If u have any doubts, try to find answers urself, and still if the doubts persist ask the Prof as a last resort. Here in India they are trying to make u independent researchers. It might be tough now, but please appreciate all the things u will be learning by ur own....The sense of Independence and achievement is amazing!!! when I did my Masters, my guide met me only twice every month, mostly to keep track of what I am doing , guide me a little and sometimes motivate me... This is how its going to be with most Profs!!!!
Dont worry u seem to be in safe hands!!

(up)