how good is york?

M

hei everyone!

i got into the ma management in york, and i was just wondering whether york has a good rep for management. i know the university is very prestigous but i am actually not sure for which subjects...

i am from vienna and didnt know well which unis are good for general management master degrees.

would york be the best to pick if the other ones i got into are Aston, Sheffield, Loughborough, Southampton, Exeter?

thanks allot if you can give any advice!!!

marc

You could look at the university league tables for information about departments, try the Guardian newspaper.

S

Not based on anything other than my personal feelings about where to live, but I liked Sheffield. Very nice feel for quite a big city.

Loughborough is okay, although very studenty. York is pretty, although the University campus is out of the centre, so could be annoying.

Aston (Brum) and Southampton are not places that I would like to live in.

Never been to Exeter, although the English Riveria (Torquay-way) is nice.

M

why not southampton? isnt the south coast of england pretty nice?

T

Quote From marking:

why not southampton? isnt the south coast of england pretty nice?

Yes, it is a nice place to live. I used to live there and loved it!

S

Fair enough. I visited Southampton (I like how no-one has questioned Brum) when my sister was living there and wasn't too impressed, particularly with the centre. However, I won't pretend to have had extensive experience of it (which I do have of Sheffield, Loughborough and Brum.)

M

well, i have never been to birmingham but it has the reputation to be very industrial and working class...

M

concerning loughborough i was wondering, that university seems to have a really good rep within england is consistently ranked highly, yet i have actually never heard of it here in austria, until i started looking for a masters.

is the management school for postgraduates of loughborough known to be good?

A

Hi Marking

I could not comment about the actual University, but York has got to be one of the most beautiful cities in England to live in.

Angelette

S

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/universityguide

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/page/subject/rae2008

Neither of the above tell you how good they are for PG courses, but they can give you an idea.

M

======= Date Modified 16 Apr 2011 15:56:39 =======
wow, york is ranked terribly in these ones for business and management... thats not good. that makes me wanna reconsider. aston, loughborough and sheffield seem to be ranked much better - particularly in the RAE, which i understand is in a way an index for postgrad studies (since evaluating the quality of research)...

:-(

I can't comment on your subject I'm afraid as I didn't study that, but I did my undergraduate degree at York and am now doing a PhD at Loughborough, so I can comment on the places.

York is an amazingly beautiful historic city which is a joy to visit or live in. Friendly vibe, lots of nice pubs, interesting things to see. The university campus is out of the city centre but I used to regularly walk into the city from there, it's really not far. The campus is 1960s concrete but set around a nice lake, and the campus is divided into colleges so it feels a lot more friendly and small than some campus universities.

Loughborough is very sport oriented - if you love sport you'd have a fantastic time at Loughborough, and there are amazing sporting facilities. If you don't love sport, the place isn't as interesting. It's a small town dominated by the university so there's lots of 'student night' type activities (i.e. lots of drinking). But it's very close to the cities of Leicester and Nottingham, where there's lots more going on, so you don't have to feel stuck in a little student bubble all the time.

Hope that's of some help!

K

York Minister is huge!!! A fantastic place to visit.

M

Quote From Slizor:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/universityguide

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/page/subject/rae2008

Neither of the above tell you how good they are for PG courses, but they can give you an idea.

i wonder why york is ranked so poorly for management... ?