How much disposable income do other PhD students have?

L

Hey, I'm relatively new to this forum. I know there are a couple of older threads on similar topics but I thought I would take this opportunity to introduce myself and also ask for advice from fellow PhDers.

I'm in the second year of my PhD (Yr 1 part-time) and am due to start full-time research from 1st Oct. I am based in Dublin, an extremely expensive city as anyone who has lived or visited here will attest to. I will have limited funding which will give me approximately EUR€14,000 per year, including grants (approx. GBP£12,300).

I have worked through all of my finances and reduced monthly payments and various utilities as much as I can, but after rent (sharing), utilities, food, loan repayments and running a car, every cent is accounted for.

I've been working as a teacher on temporary/substitution contracts for the past few years but there is a public sector recruitment ban in Ireland for the foreseeable future, so it is unlikely I will pick up any additional work this year.

I am used to having very little money and spent most of my 20s (I'm 30 now) scrimping and saving for the bigger things I wanted (such as my BA, MA, travel, car etc.). I'm not a big drinker and am not into nightclubs. I've travelled a lot, lived in the UK, Australia and Canada so can handle not taking any foreign holidays for a few years. I also don't spend a huge amount of money on clothes but would like to have the option of buying something if I feel I need it.

I will have zero disposable income left over once my bills are paid - that means no money to meet friends for coffee/drinks/cinema, get my car serviced if needed, buy make up if I run out, get my hair cut or taxis if running late etc. Basically, it leaves me with zero money outside my bills and essentials. My car and the gym (paid a year upfront) are my two main luxuries.

Obviously I can look for part-time work, but Ireland is in a deep recession at the moment with unemployment at approx. 14.4 % so there is very little available and I spent so much time working last year that I have a lot of catching up to do on the PhD.

My question is, can I live like that long-term, as in for one to three years? How do other people manage? How much disposable income do other PhD researchers have per month? And is the scrimping and saving worth it?

D

======= Date Modified 07 Sep 2011 06:03:44 =======
I've lived on an even tighter budget than that for 3 years. I haven't been out in a very, very, long time...The reason being to clear all of the debts that gathered through funding an education that has lasted many years. My PhD was funded and I took it solely for the funding and to get off unemployment. I will shortly be unemployed again, if I can't get a job, but with all my debts cleared, thankfully, and I should be able to resume some sort of social life. I can afford one now but want to get this finished as soon as possible. The PhD was worth it for financial reasons (I made much more from it than being unemployed) but, for me, an extended stay in the education system hasn't paid off and quite honestly I don't believe it will.

To answer your question, I think you can live like that long-term but it depends on what you've been used to and how disciplined you are with your money. However, aspects of life will pass you by. Is the scrimping and saving worth it? For me, no, but it really depends on the outcomes associated with it and whether you achieve these. In the end, will it get you what you wanted? If so, then yes, it will be worth it Unfortunately, you'll not know the answer to this unless you complete.

Good Luck!

Edit: I've lived on a tighter budget than you for 6 years and the last three years I've had the option of being able to turn on heating if I want and buy beyond 'value' brands. For 3 years I could even do these!

its completely doable you do have to make sacrifices though. I don't buy clothes, I have 2 pairs of black trousers from George that I alternate and hope no one notices, I don't cut my hair, ever. I think I got it cut about 18 months ago. I don't drink, smoke etc so that helps. But then I see some people who manage to have a new wardrobe every week on a PhD stipend. I have no idea how but its obviously doable.

D

They could be putting it on a credit card or get extra help from family.

yes, that's true and they also probably don't have a ravenous dog who craves denta sticks!

L

======= Date Modified 07 Sep 2011 21:19:18 =======
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think you're right Delta and Sneaks, it is definitely possible.

Thinking about it, I have lived on much less, especially when I was doing my undergrad in the UK and living away from home with no students loans (wasn't eligible at the time). Looking back, I don't know how I survived it, let alone had a social life.

I don't smoke and hardly drink but I suppose I have become accustomed to a particular lifestyle. I tend to buy whatever is on special when it comes to food, cleaning products etc, but I do have a tendency to buy named brands. And up until recently I had been buying designer make up, and I get my hair done - highlighted & cut several times a year - although I do save a small fortune as my friend is a hairdresser does my hair in my living room for less than half the price of a salon. And even though the majority of clothes I buy are on sale, or are from cheaper department stores, like Dunnes and Penney's (Primark), there's probably a whole lot more I could be saving myself.

God, even writing that makes me realise that I've become accustomed to a good standard of living - there are loads of things I can cut back on there. Mainly making better choices with the little money I do have. When I think back to even 3-4 years ago I was living a completely different lifestyle - studying, saving for tuition fees, working in temp jobs and spending extremely little money simple cos I had none to spend!

I think I just need to reevaluate my lifestyle and acknowledge that if I want to finish the PhD then I need to make sacrifices. I've done it before, I just need to readjust to living a student lifestyle again.

D

LilMsss, you'll be fine and the good news is if you have to be careful with money you'll have less to spend on distractions and should finish your PhD that bit sooner!!!

Good luck.