How to Get Distinction in English Lit MA

D

Hi Guys,

I'm about to start my MA in English Literature at a UK University (I'm a mature student, graduated 11 years with an undergraduate degree in Finance and Economics, which I did in the US so different education system). I really want to do PhD straight after my Master's and will need funding for that, which is extremely competitive in English Lit. So I need to get distinction.

Any tips from those of you who have received distinction in MA? Particularly in English Lit?

Thanks

T

I didn't get a distinction in my MSc (Biology) but I know I could have... it's no different than an undergrad degree - you just have to learn the material back to back and then throw in some 'original ideas' that weren't covered in the lectures. I got bored with revision by the time my MSc rolled around and I barely revised so I just got a merit.

In your research project or thesis you just have to follow the guidelines required to get a distinction.

C

I got a distinction in my MSc - not the same as English Lit, but in general I'd say don't skimp on anything, put the hours in and make sure you really have a knowledge of the material. When it comes to your research project, pay attention to anything your supervisor thinks should be improved on, since he or she is going to grade it. I'm a mature student too, and I think that helped as I certainly took it all more seriously than I did my undergraduate degree!

L

I did an MA in Medieval Studies, which isn't the same as English Lit although it did have a literature component. I didn't get a distinction but I was only 2 percentage points off (grrr!). Fortunately for me it didn't impact my getting a PhD scholarship, but it's certainly wise to aim for a distinction if you have hopes of doing a PhD - you are right that it is very competitive out there.

I'd second what has been said about putting the hours in - especially important for an arts course where you will probably have a lot of non-contact time, which you need to spend reading up in order to get the most out of the course. So self-motivation is key. Also, I should point out that 75% of the mark for my course came from the dissertation - I'm not sure if that will be the same with your course, but it does seem to be a standard feature of UK masters that they're very heavily-weighted towards the dissertation. So if that's also true for your course, you will need to really focus on that. Make sure you put in lots of effort and time getting that right, and follow the guidance of your supervisor on everything. And try not to get distracted by life - MA courses are very, very intensive but as they are short, you need to really focus on it if you want to do well as you only have a limited amount of time to get it right. Good luck!

D

Quote From chickpea:
I got a distinction in my MSc - not the same as English Lit, but in general I'd say don't skimp on anything, put the hours in and make sure you really have a knowledge of the material. When it comes to your research project, pay attention to anything your supervisor thinks should be improved on, since he or she is going to grade it. I'm a mature student too, and I think that helped as I certainly took it all more seriously than I did my undergraduate degree!

Chickpea,

Yes, I think the maturity and the fact that it's a choice to do this helps. I did well in my undergraduate degree, but it was just something to do you know! You finished school, went to University. But MA is different, because I really want to do it, and change fields. So hoping that will motivate me enough to put the hours in.

D

Quote From littleowl:
I did an MA in Medieval Studies, which isn't the same as English Lit although it did have a literature component. I didn't get a distinction but I was only 2 percentage points off (grrr!). Fortunately for me it didn't impact my getting a PhD scholarship, but it's certainly wise to aim for a distinction if you have hopes of doing a PhD - you are right that it is very competitive out there.

I'd second what has been said about putting the hours in - especially important for an arts course where you will probably have a lot of non-contact time, which you need to spend reading up in order to get the most out of the course. So self-motivation is key. Also, I should point out that 75% of the mark for my course came from the dissertation - I'm not sure if that will be the same with your course, but it does seem to be a standard feature of UK masters that they're very heavily-weighted towards the dissertation. So if that's also true for your course, you will need to really focus on that. Make sure you put in lots of effort and time getting that right, and follow the guidance of your supervisor on everything. And try not to get distracted by life - MA courses are very, very intensive but as they are short, you need to really focus on it if you want to do well as you only have a limited amount of time to get it right. Good luck!

Littleowl,

Thanks. Medieval Studies probably comes quite close to English Lit, as opposed to hard sciences. QMUL's dissertation is worth 67% of the course I think, so yes, very important.

May I ask, did you get your phd scholarship in the UK? How did you go about getting it? Funding for English Lit seems to be a dreaded topic and people tell me it's incredibly hard to get. Any tips?

D

Hi Dolly,

I think there are no quick-fix tips. Generally, good performance comes with hard work. It does depend on how much time you are willing to spend on your studies. But I think I can give you some general advice as follows:

1) Understand what assessments you are going to do and how you are going to be assessed in the program;
2) Do more than what is required in the assessments (e.g. essays and presentations).
3) Think and research deeply before you do the assessments
4) Proofread and revise carefully after you have done the assessments

It is true that getting funding is not easy. But I am sure that you will come close to your goal if you can get a distinction.

Hope it helps!

D

Quote From dotdottung:
Hi Dolly,

I think there are no quick-fix tips. Generally, good performance comes with hard work. It does depend on how much time you are willing to spend on your studies. But I think I can give you some general advice as follows:

1) Understand what assessments you are going to do and how you are going to be assessed in the program;
2) Do more than what is required in the assessments (e.g. essays and presentations).
3) Think and research deeply before you do the assessments
4) Proofread and revise carefully after you have done the assessments

It is true that getting funding is not easy. But I am sure that you will come close to your goal if you can get a distinction.

Hope it helps!

Hi Dot,

Thank you. I understand there are no quick-fixes. But sometimes, it helps to get experienced people's perspective, just so you don't miss anything, and are prepared well :-) At least, it works for me.

Thank you for your advice. I will keep those things in mind.

C

Another thing I would add, Dolly, is pay attention to all the little details when handing in your work - the presentation style that's required, the referencing, check that you've ironed out any little errors etc. I know that might just seem like common sense, but the feedback I got during my Masters had a surprising amount of focus on my actual writing, and I also know from my own marking experience that it is much easier and more pleasant to mark when students have double-checked everything themselves! (There are exceptions, of course, for students who have conditions which make written work more challenging, as long as the marker knows in advance not to subtract marks on this issue).

L

Hi Dolly,

My PhD studentship was at a Russell Group uni in southern England. I was very lucky - the scholarship was part of a funded project (so the basis for my project was thought up by the PI and her team; I just had to convince them I was the right person for the job), which I was able to apply for while I was still doing my Masters so by the time I knew I hadn't got a distinction, I'd already started the PhD. So unfortunately I can't offer too much first-hand experience in terms of writing proposals and sending them off to research funding bodies for PhD funding. What I will say, though, is this:

- Make sure you know when the deadlines are for funding applications from e.g. the AHRC well in advance. The deadline for applying for funding is quite early in the calendar year, so if you want to start as soon as you finish your Masters, you may need to be prepared to submit a proposal not long after you start the MA.
- It goes without saying, but get as much support from supervisors during your MA as possible - if any of them are willing to help you develop your proposal or look at your CV, great!
- If you don't have a 'pet project' in mind that you're absolutely desperate to do for a PhD, I'd really recommend going for funded studentships on funded projects if you find something that fits your skills and experience. Although it might not be your dream topic, projects often come with funding already in place for conferences and resources you might not have access to otherwise - and if you're at all interested in continuing with research, showing that you have experience of working as part of a research team looks great on CVs. I absolutely loved my PhD, even though it wasn't what I originally wanted to do, and have found the team project aspect has helped with job applications.

Hope this helps!

D

Quote From chickpea:
Another thing I would add, Dolly, is pay attention to all the little details when handing in your work - the presentation style that's required, the referencing, check that you've ironed out any little errors etc. I know that might just seem like common sense, but the feedback I got during my Masters had a surprising amount of focus on my actual writing, and I also know from my own marking experience that it is much easier and more pleasant to mark when students have double-checked everything themselves! (There are exceptions, of course, for students who have conditions which make written work more challenging, as long as the marker knows in advance not to subtract marks on this issue).

Chickpea,

That makes sense, thank you.

D

Quote From littleowl:
Hi Dolly,

- If you don't have a 'pet project' in mind that you're absolutely desperate to do for a PhD, I'd really recommend going for funded studentships on funded projects if you find something that fits your skills and experience. Although it might not be your dream topic, projects often come with funding already in place for conferences and resources you might not have access to otherwise - and if you're at all interested in continuing with research, showing that you have experience of working as part of a research team looks great on CVs. I absolutely loved my PhD, even though it wasn't what I originally wanted to do, and have found the team project aspect has helped with job applications.

Hope this helps!

littleowl,

That would be the ideal solution. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any studentships yet even in the wide-region of my interest which is 20th or 21st century British, American, and Post-Colonial Literature. That is a super broad range. But the few studentships that I have seen in English related areas are more into medieval stuff, or into archiving etc. I will still keep looking at it, but I think chances of finding something are quite slim.