is getting a tutor acceptable?

P

Hello all,

I would like to get a tutor to help me with doing some quantitative analysis. We had an introductory module a few months ago, but I am not sure I want to use the package we did in class, and I want to use more advanced techniques as well. I have to submit my dissertation in September, but I really do not want to limit myself to the basics we did. So, I am thinking of getting a tutor to help me with sorting out how to demonstrate if my hypotheses are correct. I am unsure if I should do this as:
- I have never asked for help before and I feel uneasy doing it now.
- I have to sign a paper saying it is my own work. Yet, if I get a tutor, it won't be my own work as I will have been shown how to do things I may not have known before.

Should I? Should I not?

I am too proud to get one, yet it is difficult to teach myself when I only have 2 months to go. Plus, I don't lik submitting something of a mediocre quality, so I kind of need some help. Right now, I am thinking I should just do whatever I know and not care how sophisticated it is.

THANKS.

H

I'd recommend talking to your dissertation supervisor in the first instance. If you seek external help, you may be lead off in the wrong direction. Really, any training you received during the course should be adequate for your dissertation - it may be that you're planning something too ambitious for the course requirements. The dissertation can just be a means to an end.

It's better to do something simply, but carry it out and write it up really well, than try something overly complex and not have time to meet all of the criteria on which you will actually be marked.

P

Thanks for your reply. I think I will just stick to what I know and use some online manuals, for a few things. I am just worried I might be marked down if I end up using a certain method, but the examiner sees that I could have used something else (which I may not know about!). Anyhow, I will place my trust in God, and focus a lot on the interpretation aspect. :)